HDTV & Display Related questions (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hardy Jr., Oct 10, 2002.

1. David Hardy Jr.

Is it possible to get cable/satellite programing in HT via front-projection. For Boxing matches, footbal, baseball, etc. If it is possible what should I watch out for; i.e. problems tha may arise from doing it.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The biggest issue is the same issue you have with any source really: the question of resolution. Most projectors are complex beasts (internally at least), and have to scale or process standard video feeds in order to display them. This fact, along with the relatively low res nature of TV signals in the first place- when the video feed blown up to wall-size proprotions is often less than pleasing.

You can improve this somewhat using top quality sources- like HD feeds or good channels from Digital Satellite systems. You can also employ an outboard scaling or processing device (like HTPC) to process the video signals to better resolutions.

I use a HTPC with a tuner card and the program Dscaler-- this gives me a 1024x768 TV output to my projector- resulting in a decent picture.

-Vince

3. David Hardy Jr.

First, What does it mean when referring to "HDTV compatible". Does this mean that I need some "extra" equipment to display HDTV quality? Please someone help me.[​IMG]

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Means it is able to sync to HD sources, but does not have internal HDTV tuner. This is also sometimes advertised as "HDTV ready".

You will need an outboard tuning device (such as a Set top HD tuner, DSS box which supports HD, or HTPC with HDTV tuner card) to feed the device a HD signal.

-Vince

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What Vince says plus HDTV compatible means it can take the HDTV signal, whether it be 720p, 1080i or whatever resolution they decide to finally use [​IMG], and display it. Some units display the entire resolution while some other displays do not have a high enough resolution to display the whole thing, so they "downconvert" it to a lower resolution for it to be displayed.

6. David Hardy Jr.

Where could I go to find out more about these HDTV outboard devices?
    [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Not to limit the response to front projection, but most display products with words such as HDTV compatible, or HDTV-upgradeable or HDTV-ready mean that the display is capable of displaying HDTV, but that the product does not have a tuner which can decode ATSC (digital) signals, among them, HD signals.

As most front projectors have no tuner at all, it makes perfect sense that an HD tuner must be purchased to display HDTV. In fact, some tuner must be purchased, else no TV at all. For other displays, such as a conventional tube TV that already have a standard tuner (for NTSC or standard definition) signals, a separate tuner must still be purchased.

Where I have used the word tuner, you may feel free to substituted a word such as set top box (STB). For example for those who use a satellite service such as DirectTV, purchasing a HD STB (e.g. Hughes E86) will have a device that handles the signals from the DirectTV satellites, both standard and HD, and that will also properly decode over the air (OTA) signals received via an antenna.

Hope that this helps.

8. David Hardy Jr.

I have for now a regular 27" standard television. If I purchased an HDTV STB, could I connect it through my digital cable box?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Uh, yeah, I guess. But you wouldn't see HD signal.
    First of all- some STB do offer a standard definition output which would work with your 27 inch standard TV. Although, I'm unsure why you'd want to spend hundreds of dollars just to buy a box to tune in HD sources and then convert them back down to 480i that your TV could support. You could tune in the same programming in native standard definition for free, and it would likely look better than a downconverted HD feed.
    Secondly, your Digital cable box would need not be involved. I'm not sure exactly what you mean or what you're trying to accomplish- but a HD STB is just a tuner (like a radio tuner)- it simply is able to tune in the HD over the air signal and pass it out to a display device.
    The obvious use would be to connect to a HD display device- but some do offer a standard def output compatible with NTSC tvs. But even so- this would connect directly to your TV set- and you cable box would not be used (it would not have any ability to make standard TV from your cable box HD, and even if it did- you'd never be able to see it in HD with your current set).
    Thirdly, I'm going to go ahead and merge the several HD/FP/Display questions you have in basics into one header. Please don't post new topics each time you have a new question- try your best to keep related questions under the same topic.
    -Vince

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Many people simply use an integrate DSS box (both sat networks offer a sat tuner which received HD sat feed and also received over the air HD signals). As far as I know, the main producer of Non-sat OTA HD receivers is Samsung. Expect to shell out $300-$400 though.
    If you're really seeking an exclusive STB tuner and want to spend that much dough- try a search on this forum for STB or Set Top Box (maybe start in the audio video sources area or the display area).
    If you did a search, you might find threads like these:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=56707
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=90192
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=83736
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=94692
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=67160
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=40886
    Vince

11. Christopher Collins

If you think you may want to purchase an HDTV in the near future (next 6-8 months)and you have verified that your local cable company has HDTV boxes, you may want to sign up for the service now.
    In some areas there is a long waiting list for the HD boxes. While you would not be able to view HD material on your current set, the HDTV converter box offers a wide range of output options such as s-video and component. You will only get the HD signal if you tune the box to the proper station, all other stations are digital. If your current set will accomodate s-video it might be worth it to sign up for the box and use it for regular digital channel viewing until you are ready for the full HD upgrade. At which time you would have the box and not have to wait [​IMG])