HDTV, DirecTV & Tivo - all-in one??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Beverly, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Jeff Beverly

Jeff Beverly Extra

i'm sure this question might better fit in another forum, but here goes...
    is there a "one-box solution" that provides HDTV, DirecTV & a personal data recorder?? i understand that i am not going to be able to record HDTV via a Tivo-like product. what i am searching for is one box that will allow me to view HD material and time shift SD material & use the Tivo-like interface...
    does such a box exist???
    if not, what are my options? i was considering a DirecTV/HDTV receiver (and antenna) to go with my HDTV and a DirecTV/Tivo to go in the bedroom. are there other or better solutions? are there other things i should be considering??
    my current set-up utilizes Time Warner Cable for SDTV AND HDTV - i do not have a personal data recorder. i figured if i was considering purchasing such a unit, i would look at all the options.
    i appreciate your assistance!!
    ------------------
    My HT Pics

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

you are getting HD over time warner in winter park?
    what channels?

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

AFAIK, there is no all-in-one box to do all of the things you ask. No OTA HDTV box includes a hard drive at this point.
    IMO, this would be an outstanding feature for HDTV. Let the hard drive record the HD signal for time shifting. It would just be too easy.
    I'm wondering when cable boxes with hard drives in them are going to appear.
    BTW, how do like the TWC HD offerings? How's the pic? (I believe we have the same set- Pro-510) What channels do they have? I'm on the fence about getting a 6000 (mainly due to cost), and was considering dumping Dish and getting cable, under the $99 everything pak, since I already have Road Runner. Parting with the Dishplayer is the only reason I'm balking.
    Todd

5. Jeff Beverly

Jeff Beverly Extra

currently TWC is offering the following channels in HD in the winter park area:
    - HBO
    - Showtime
    - local CBS
    - local NBC
    i have been pretty impressed with the picture & service so far... as Todd noted, the cost is very difficult to beat - $100/month including Road Runner...
    if i switch from cable to DirecTV or Dish, i will likely wait until there is an all-in-one solution. at that time, i will also have to review any other high-speed alternatives - satellite. DSL, etc...
    the way it sounds, i have a pretty good set-up right now. maybe a stand-alone Tivo is the way to go now. i'll have to keep looking!
    thanks for all your help!
    ------------------
    My HT Pics