What's new

HDTV directv picture with HDTV television?? (1 Viewer)

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
My first post so, be gentle.
I have a Toshiba HDTV 56" with the new Toshiba DTC-3000 high definition satellite receiver for directv. I am using s-video for all channel viewing and component video cables for the HDTV channels 199(promo HDTV) and channel 509(HBO HD) as well as an optical cable for 5.1 sound whenever available. My high definition channels whether it is through the s-video or the component cables show increadibly perfect. Here is the question. Why are all my other channels when viewed through the s-video seem soft? The contrast and the picture seems to be grainy and at times you can see small pixelation moving back and forth. It is most noticeable whenever there is a face on the screen and you look into their cheecks/eyes. It is not by any means the large pixelations as when your signal is breaking up. I have talked to Toshiba and Directv with no solution. I am using high quality cables and tried different cable connections but, to no avail. The dish installation was done by Directv and the cable comes in about ten feet from the outside wall into the t.v.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Ian B.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
You could borrow a box from another dish owner to see if the picure is better; it might just be the contrast between NTSC and HDTV on your 56 inch screen. Or it might be the adjustment of your TV - have you set up the contrast and brightness with AVIA or Video Essentials? Have you tried turning the sharpness down?

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Larry. The dish came with a regular box and earlier today I hooked it up but, the picture is still the same. Yes, I used the video essentials dvd in the past to set-up my picture. My picture with cable, vcr and dvds is perfect. My contrast is set up at 20 out of 100. Any other suggestions or, should I exchange the unit for another. It is only 2 weeks old.
Ian B.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
If you exchanged boxes the soft picture isn't the result of a defect in your HDTV unit. I suspect it's something involving the DirecTV picture and your setup...write down your settings and try various combinations of contrast/brightness/sharpness. It may just be a poor picture on DirecTV, and your high quality equipment reflects reality.
Maybe when the new satellite is up things will improve.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
When I had my 61" Toshiba I thought DirecTV looked good to excellent on pay channels. After I received my Boxlight 455 DLP projector, I see all kinds of artifacts that were not visable to me before. It is probably due to better resolution, larger image(an 8' screen)and perhaps the extra video processing needed to up-convert 480i to 480p or higher. It seems like I can not watch anything less than DVD quality now.

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jim and Larry for your info. I exchanged the receiver Toshiba DST-3000 hdtv directv receiver at BB with no problems and got a new one. Tried it out and the picture was somewhat better. I called Directv and the installer will be coming out tommorrow to check the dish and incoming cable for possible problems.
Ian B

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Ian,
I too own the 56H80 and in encountering the same problems. It's actually quite annoying. I expected better quality out of Direct TV and have been anything less than impressed. I find that when watching baseball games, the picture looks the worst. It drives me crazy spending all of this money and having and unsatisfied feeling. My Direct TV signal strength is 84, which I am told is still very good. I use the S-Video connection from the regular RCA box. No HD Decoder just yet
frown.gif
. I do plan on getting one in the near future, but would like my picture quality to get a bit better first. I am glad to hear I am not the only one having this problem. Misery loves company! What picture mode do you use to watch satellite images: Full, Theater 1, 2, or 3? I tend to find Full to work the best. My Tint is at -9 and contrast 38. I used the AVIA disk for set up and find DVD's and VCR pictures outstanding. I am just confused on how to improve my overall picture on regular Direct TV images. Direct TV support has no answers for me at this time, possibly someone in the forum can help us. Keep your fingers crossed....
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Michael.
I know what you mean. Directv installer will be here today sometime and I will post a reply afterwards. I am watching in on 4x3 letterbox mode for the movies since my model does not have the option to change the view mode.
Ian B

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Ian,
So by not having the different picture options I am assuming you do not have the 16x9 set but rather the 4:3? I didn't know Toshiba made a 4:3 56in that was HD capable. I am very interested to hear what Direct TV does/advises after their visit. I hope they can solve the problem and then you can pass the info on to me. You would think that there would be some kind of amplifier to help increase the signal strength before it runs into the TV like there are with regular cable. I wonder if those old amplifiers would work with satellite? Just a thought.....
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks