What's new

HDTV - DirecTV or OTA? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here in NYC, TWC has worked out their pricing so that digital cable can be about the same price as analog cable depending on the package you choose. If you get more than one premium channel along w/ "standard" cable from TWC in NYC, you're probably not saving any $$$ by sticking w/ analog. And you wouldn't get the benefits of HD service at no extra cost either.

I just wish they'd provide a better STB than the crappy SA 3100HD or subsidize my own purchase of a good STB like Directv does.

_Man_

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you do time-shifting and don't have a Tivo/ReplayTV, digital cable boxes are a pain if you want channel changing capabilities for your VCR recordings. I still have analog cable because my VCRs are able to tune the correct channel on the analog feed for unattended recordings.

With the Tivo/ReplayTV, you can try the IR-Blaster setup to control the channel changes for the digital boxes for unattended recordings. I'm just loathed to do this at this time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Very true about time-shifting. I was never that much of a time-shifter, so never got into SVHS or Tivo/ReplayTV for the old 32". And now, w/ my WS RPTV upgrade, I don't really want to get them either since timeshifting poor quality 4x3 TV programs just don't seem all that appealing to me.

I know I said I didn't understand the need for Tivo/ReplayTV once upon a time, but now, given the increase in quality HD content and the lack of an affordable/workable HD recordable media format (and HD-DVD), I'm really pining for the HD DirecTivo's promised for release late this year.

_Man_

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

Reginald-- that exact same MPEG compression codec can be used at various levels of compression to get higher and lower levels of PQ (at correspondingly higher and lower uses of available bandwidth).
----------------------

Tim, that was part of my point so we're on the same page.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a TERK indoor TV5 also and it picked up all the DTV real well, but the analog channels are kinda bad but I don't care, all I want is DTV anyway. I've tried the SPECIAL indoor antenna at RS ($49.99) with the same result but the signal is weaker so I'm keep the TV5. Like Tom, outdoor antenna isn't an option for me right now.

I'm willing to call Directv next Mon after I install the triple dish, someone please tell me what's the best deal D* have right now??? (Some said 3 months HBO and Cinemax free, some said 6 months HBO and SHOW free and I called D* yesterday to ask about the packages, they said 3 months HBO and Cinemax free or 3 months HBO and ShOW for $10.00).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks