HDTV/DirectTV/DVR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JimmyW, Oct 29, 2003.

1. JimmyW

JimmyW Auditioning

Hi,

I was wondering if any knew it there was a HDTV/DirectTV receiver that also had a DVR? I am a current subscriber to DirectTV and have a HDTV without a HDTV tuner and am looking to fix this oversight. Any comments are appreciated.

Jimmy

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There is not. You need two units: a DVR and a DirectTV HD receiver.

Supposedly there will be a DirecTV HD PVR (tivo, iirc) in 1st qtr 2004. No question that this will happen, it is just a case of when.

Of approach to solving the problem today is to use a multiswitch, with one line to the HD receiver and two lines to the PVR. On the output side, component (or DVI) connection from the HD receiver to the display and an S-video (or composite) from the PVR to the display.

Where you have a problem is if you are watching an HD telecast and you want to use the ‘pause’ feature of the PVR. You need to get the PVR on the right channel and after that the catch-up is in SD.

3. John Sorensen

John Sorensen Auditioning

Maybe I am off base here but what about this new Zenith HDR230. HD Reciever/HD DVR all in one box? Do an internet search?

HDTV Broadcast Receiver & High Definition Personal Video Recorder

Allows Over the Air HDTV Reception

All Format ATSC Receiver
    Utilizes Zenith's 4th-generation VSB technology for improved terrestrial/cable VSB-DTV reception and noise immunity

Various Display Options
    Selectable output format allows configuration on different displays in both 4:3 and 16:9 formats

Display Format Control
    Allows selection of output display formats

Electronic Program Guide Based on PSIP

Pause/Playback, Live TV (Time Shift)
    Live and reservation recording, variable speed slow motion, fast-forward, and rewind. Time Shift feature allows the review of a segment that you missed during a view

User Friendly GUI and Fast Program Screen Tuning

Enhanced Scaler
    Provides superior picture for different formats

5.1 Channel Dolby Digital™ Sound
    Provides Dolby Digital audio to create 5.1 channel sound for home theater

Front LED Display

Digital Closed Captions

Fast Program Search for Tuning

Built-In 80 GB Hard Drive
    Records more than 8 hours of HD content via antenna

Book Marked Play Bac

4. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

John, close, but he wants DirecTV with DVR functions.

5. John Sorensen

I have the Zenith HD-520 Sat Reciver that recieves DirectTV signal just fine. Why would this be any different? What am I missing?

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

It's different because it's a different model, and not a satellite receiver. I don't understand your point. Just because Zenith makes some models of satellite HD receiver means all their models must be both satellite/OTA? That doesn't compute. Other companies like Panasonic & Samsung have also made OTA-only receivers. Tivo probably has some sort of exclusive contract with DirecTV for PVR services.

The HDR-230 also has a major drawback of not being able to view previous recordings while recording a new show.

7. John Sorensen

Oh, i get it now, you have to excuse me as it takes a while for things to sink in. I live where technology is so far behind. We only have one OTA HD signal right now. I have to gt all my info from the internet boards like these so thanks for clearing that up!!

John