HDTV / DirectTV / 16x9

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andrew_NMG, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Andrew_NMG

Andrew_NMG Auditioning

Nov 15, 2003
    Here's my plan, please shoot holes as necessary.

Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY
    Direct TV
    Sony Progressive Scan DVD
    Sony SAT-520 HDTV/Direct TV Receiver

==I am leaving my programming the way it is which includes East/West Networks along with local Tucson, AZ channels.

Am I going to get a good picture? I know the HDTV receiver really may not be necessary until I either subscribe to the HDTV programming (very limited on DirectTV) or more HDTV channels become available thru DirectTV.

Example: Say I'm just watching the normal channels; ESPN, FOX News, CNN, TBS, TNT, USA, and my East/West/Local Networks. Will the picture be "stretched" to fit the 16x9? Will this look blahh?

Example: I anticipate that my DVD's through the progressive scan player should look very nice on the plasma.

Summary: What I'm trying to avoid is buying this high end 50" Panasonic plasma and be disappointed with the normal DirectTV feeds.

Any first hand experiences and/or comments would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ
  2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
  3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Apr 10, 2000
    I have this TV with DirecTV with an HD tuner (RCA DTC-100), and a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player.

I have to tell you that watching "plain" that is non HD DirecTV gives widely varying picture quality depending on the source, but it's mostly pretty poor. I rarely watch an SD station these days except for sporting events.

If you are connecting the Sat-520 via component (that is, via 1080i), the TV will not let you adjust the size of the picture. But, the Sony should allow you to stretch or zoom the picture. The DTC-100 gives you the option to stretch the picture horizontally or zoom it so it fills the screen and keeps the existing aspect ratio. On the other hand, if you connect the Sat-520 via the s-video or component inputs so you are watching at 480i, you will be able to adjust the picture size using the display's controls (Panasonic gives you 5 varieties). The display also lets you choose what color (black or shades of gray)you want to use for borders if you are watching 4:3.

DVD's look spectacular on this display, but HD will blow you away.