HDTV digital box settings

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Doug Smith, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I've got a Motorola 5100 digital terminal. I have it set for 1080i scan. If I watch ABC HDTV broadcasts, do I have to each time manually go into the boxes menu to change it to 780p? Or does the box convert automatically? Also will my Toshiba widescreen 57" HDX82 (or 83 - I forget) be able to pick up either through its component color stream jacks?

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

It depends on what your TV is capable of in terms of HD output. Most HD TV's will take a 720p signal and convert it to 1080i. If so, your best bet is to leave your STB set at 1080i so that your TV does not have to perform any extra processing. If it works the other way around, than leave the STB set at 720p.

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

How do you switch the digital box to 1080i?

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

You turn on the power to the T.V., but not to the Digital box. You then push the menu button on the digital box. It comes up with a few choices to be made such as screen size, then a list of picture posiibilities - 10801, 720p, 480p, and 480i. Then it asks what your default picture should be - either 480p or 480i. I had originally picked 480p but the picture quality (other than the HDTV chanels was not as good as when I had it on 480i (which is the way it is being broadcast, I assume). But I know that HDTV models are different in what they can produce through their component jacks. I know my Toshiba can reproduce 1080i, I'm just not sure what else, or even if its something to worry about if the cable box is going to upconvert anyways?