What's new

HDTV Decoders? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I am currently doing some research in two HDTV TV's. My question is this: Do I need a seperate HDTV decoder for these two Sony models? If I do, what do you recommend? Are all HDTV decoders basically the same?

32" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Hi-Scan® TV
KV-32HV600

36" FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® Hi-Scan® TV
KV-36XBR800

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, none of the XBR800 series, with which I am familiar, has a HD tuner. This is no bad thing, as the models with the tuner were significantly more expensive (around $1,500 if memory serves). Even considering the current cost of external tuners. For example a Hughes DirectTV satellite receiver, that also serves as a HD tuner and is available for ~$500.

Both Panasonic and Toshiba make models similar to the 32XBR800 and their picture quality is on a par with the Sony. You might like to check them out.

I am not familiar with the 32HV600.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The 32HV600 is the 32" "XBR" this year, just in the HS body. They discontinued the 32" XBR and came out with this model. Has everything the XBR does(to my knowledge) but is in a diferent chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks