HDTV Connections

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Simon B CT, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Simon B CT

Simon B CT Auditioning

Apr 17, 2006

I know a lot of guys have asked for what hdtv they should buy, my case might be a bit different so please help me out.

I live in Cape Town, South Africa, we don't have HDTV and plans are only in place now to setup for the World Cup 2010, which we are hosting, the bad news is that the broadcast in HD will only go out and not for domestic broadcasters.

Our 1 satellite company has no plans on HDTV and we only expect to get it in around 2012.

I will be buying either a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player, not sure about HD-DVD yet, hopefully there will be a universal player then, I will make the purchase in probably a year or so.

What connections should i look at, long term and for the next couple of years.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

May 23, 1999
    HDMI, is pretty much set as the connection for now and the future. Even if you get an upscaling DVD player it requires you to use HDMI to get the best resolution from that player. Of course HDMI is the standard for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD eventhough it will pass some software via component but if the DVD is labeled or Encrypted with a copy protection it won't allow you to see HD via component only HDMI.