What's new

HDTV Component cables?? (1 Viewer)

Greg Stone

Agent
Are HDTV component cables realy necessary for my new HDTV set, a Panasonic CT-36HX41, or will standard component cables suffice, like the ones I had used for the Colorstream inputs on my Tosh set?

I will have the Tosh SD4700 progressive scan DVD player hooked up to my new tv, once it ships, but am wondering if I really need to upgrade cables or not. A friend of mine mentioned the HDTV component cables from Monster do not drop below 75 ohm, or something like this. He was talking over my head, but it is now making me wonder if I do need them? At $89.99 a pair, and needing two sets, one from the DVD player, and then one set from my Denon 3300 to the Panasonic tv, this could get expensive quick.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Phil,
One minor correction. Bettercables pricing starts at 99 dollars for 1 meter. I think that kind of pricing is exactly what the original poster wanted to avoid.
Kevin C. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Phil, I've edited your post so that the links work. You had included the comma after each link as part of the url.

M.

Greg Stone

Agent
My second question would be, how much better will the picture be if I bought the HDTV cables, compared to just using the regular component cables I have now? Noticeable?

Will Best Buy/Circuit City let you bring back cables after they have been opened?

Thanks again.

Greg

SteveA

Supporting Actor
At $89, those Monster cables sound like pure snake-oil to me. I got 6' Acoustic Research component cables recently at Best Buy for only $29 - and they are very rugged and work extremely well.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Greg,
First off what type of cables specifically do you have now?
As long as your current cables are 75 OHM (which they probably are if they were made for a component connection) if they are and your not running a long distance like 10' or more I wouldn't worry about it. I am not sure what BB/CC return policy is on cables but if you go to a local high end shop most will let you take home a set of cables for a few days to try them out.
Kevin C. :)

Robert Cranwell

Stunt Coordinator
Don't worry about length until you get to the 50' mark, than a custom length out of quality RG-6 cable would fit the bill.

Rob

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
You have 30 days at CC to return the cables opened or not. The monster video 3 cables can make quite a difference over what you get in the box with your dvd player. A lot of it has to do with the copper wire going through the middle of the wire and the shielding. When you bend the cable in the cheap cables it allows the copper wire going through the middle to get closer to one side of the shielding. Causing you to lose the 75ohm resistance, and change it to something else. The monster cables don't do this because the shielding is glued to the dielectric around the copper wire, making it so the copper wire never gets off center. The monster cables will make a difference in the way your tv looks from your dvd player. You paid $1500-2000 for your tv the $90 for a video cable will make it look as good as is possible from your equipment.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks