HDTV Calibration???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkN, Jun 24, 2005.

1. MarkN

MarkN Stunt Coordinator

I just got a HLR5667W DLP and was wondering if I can still use my Avia calibration disk or is there a calibration disk specifically for setting up a HDTV?

Thanks!
    ~M

2. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

You can use AVIA, but you may want to try Digital Video Essentials (DVE). It's in 1.78:1 and has some really good demo material. The down side is that it's a pain to navigate. I have both discs, but perefer DVE.

Something to look for. When you calibrate it and your HD picture looks dark compared to DVD, change your black level setting in your DVD player to enhanced and recalibrate. The black level for HD is at 0 ire where the DVD player in the normal position is at 7.5.

3. MarkN

MarkN Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tom!!!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Mark, some suggestions:

Use Avia to do a rough-calibration if the TV is new. Dont spend tons of time on it right away. Professional Calibrationists usually ask that you use a TV regularly for 30-60 days before doing a full calibration, or it's a waste of time. (The TV settings will "drift" in the first few hundred hours of on/off/on/off use and eventually settle down).

Turn the TV on and let it be on for about 30 minutes before calibrating. Those high-intensity bulbs can take 5-10 minutes to reach steady-state. (I just wrote some software to test the light-output of some of these bulbs every 10 seconds from a cold-start and it was suprising how long it took before the intensity was stable).

Do your calibration at the same time-of-day you would do your normal television watching. Ambient light can make a big difference in your results. Calibrate at 3pm on a sunny Saturday may make the screen too bright for your evening television watching during the week.

Go through your settings and write-down the initial numbers for everything. This is your fall-back.

Remember that the Samsung has separate settings for each input. Using Avia on the "Component 1" wont calibrate the television for the CATV box coming in on "Component 2", or the CATV signal on "Ant1".

While you CAN use SVideo or move the cables to different inputs to calibrate them as well - remember that you are calibrating 2 things: that specific television with that specifc DVD player. Dont spend tons of time calibrating the other inputs, then hook different electronics to them. Do a "quick calibration" with your DVD player on the other inputs if you want - but dont spend more than about 20 minutes or so.

Hope this helps.

5. MarkN

MarkN Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    Thanks a ton!

If you use the Avia disk to calibrate the component dvd source, how do you switch to say the video 1 compent to calibrate if you are using the dvd? I am a little confused as to how you calibrate different sources if you are using a dvd. (ie - you have to play the dvd through the "dvd" input on the receiver).

Is it just a matter of moving the the input from "DVD In" to "Video 1 In" and "Video 2 In", etc...?

Thanks again,
    Mark

6. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

I just got Avia today. I'm trying to calibrate with a Samsung 4663 DLP and a Samsung HD941 DVD player through HDMI. None of the test really work. Am I doing something wrong? It won't even allow me to go to the tint section.