HDTV by satellite (locals)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Feb 23, 2001.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Does anyone know when we will be able to receive an HDTV signal for our local channels via satellite (mainly Directv)? It's so disappointing that the only way to get it with the locals is with an OTA.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I think it will be MANY years before this happens (i.e >5 years). They won't carry a DTV signal for the digital signal until they can drop the analog one- and that will have to wait until virtually ALL of the sat receiver boxes get replaced. They can't feed an HD digital signal to a box that has no means of downconverting so that everyone is able to view it.
    What's the big deal about OTA? With digital TV, your OTA antenna will be just like your satellite dish- get it pointed correctly, and you'll receive a perfect image.
    Todd

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Thanks for the info. I guess my problem with OTA is that I'm worried I won't be able to receive a strong signal because I don't receive a great one right now with my OTA. Also, I like the local channels to be part of the Directv programming menu.
    If I have the old 18" RCA Directv dish, do I need to get the new eliptical one, or do I just need the HDTV receiver? Also, I have one of those big, bulky 'clothesline' (the kind that branches out metal rods on each side) type OTAs up in my attic. Will I be able to use that?

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Scott,
    You will need to get a High-Definition dish as well. The previous dishes (non HD) can't recieve the HD frequencies. The same goes for your OTA antenna.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I am really confused now. So now I need a new dish just to receive HDTV, but yet I won't receive HDTV with that dish, but I can only receive HDTV via OTA, which I need a new one of as well????? I find that hard to believe. This just doesn't make sense.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

post edited...
    Bruce

7. Lee Antin

Lee Antin Auditioning

Scott,
    To receive HDTV from both OTA and DSS you need the following:
    1. HD STB - 6000 for DISH, numerous for DirecTV. This will allow you to see HBO-HD (both DTV and DISH) and Showtime-HD (DISH only)
    2. Special dish for DTV and 1 18" dish for DISH
    3. OTA - depending on your area you will need either a VHF or a UHF antenna. All STB's have OTA HD capability. CBS, NBC, PBS and ABC do HDTV OTA.
    You need to tell us where you live.
    Lee
    ------------------

8. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

9. Jeff_N

Jeff_N Agent

>> Dish (DSS/Dish Network) 18" antennas are receiving the same block of satellite frequencies regardless of its programming content (HDTV or not HDTV). It knows not what the program material is; nor does it care. Any ole 18" dish can be pointed at a HDTV bird and work perfectly. All one needs here is a receiver that knows what to do with the video format the receiver has decoded.

10. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, you are correct. You need either 2 round, or 1 eliptical to pick up both birds.
    I was responding to:
    You will need to get a High-Definition dish as well. The previous dishes (non HD) can't recieve the HD frequencies.
    Any 18" round can pick up dish HDTV, but will be limited to the programing on that one particular satellite. I do agree that the oval dish solves alot of connecting/switching headaches, but 2 singles could do the same thing (not desireable, though).
    ------------------

11. Dinesh

Dinesh Auditioning

>> All STB's have OTA HD capability. CBS, NBC, PBS and ABC do HDTV OTA.
    Annoyingly, this is apparently NOT true for canadian ExpressVu receivers, which are similar to the dish 6000 receivers, but cannot work with the HD-OTA module.
    dinesh

12. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

Personally I tried the oval dish and am now using two 18" dishes to hit the Two different satellites.
    When I tried to hit both birds with the oval dish I got 97% on the 101 Sat and 40% on the 119 Sat. I now have 98% on the 101 and in the low 90s on the 119.

13. KC Alewine

KC Alewine Extra

> You will need to get a High-Definition dish as well.
    > The previous dishes (non HD) can't recieve the HD
    > frequencies. The same goes for your OTA antenna.
    > Bruce
    And bumblebees can't fly either.
    I suppose I'll have to quit watching the HDTV programming I'm watching RIGHT NOW on my little dish. Please tell me where I can buy one of those special High Definition dishes?
    KC

14. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

The original question is a valid one. There are many of us who live in a rural area and cannot receive OTA HD signals! And is looks like it will be many years before it is possible.
    ------------------
    Tim Sly
    Pics of My Dedicated HT with the TW56X81

15. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Tim,
    On my 58X81, I tweaked it all except for gray scale calibration and thought progressive DVD was amazing.... until.....UNTIL I watched my first real HTDV braodcast; it put progressive DVD to shame.
    If you haven't yet, visit www.antennaweb.org (choose an antenna)
    and see if any network locals can be received from your location. I'm picking up all 4 Cincinnati HDTV newtorks from 45 miles away.
    ------------------

16. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    What if I get a 'fair' OTA signal (non-HDTV) right now? Will my HDTV picture not be as good as it could be? How does that work? I've heard that with HDTV, it's all or nothing. You either get a signal and it's perfect, or you get nothing. Is that true?