HDTV Broadcast in 4:3 or 16:9

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RussellTodd, May 19, 2004.

1. RussellTodd

RussellTodd Stunt Coordinator

I have question about receiveing a HD signal. Are all HD signals broadcast in the 16:9 format. For instance if I am watching a ESPN HD game on a 4:3 tv screen is it going to have black bars on the top and bottom? Are some HD signals sent in 4:3 and some in 16:9. Just wondering trying to decide between a 36" 4:3 or a 32" 16:9.

Thanks

2. Jon Mahoney

Jon Mahoney Stunt Coordinator

Yes, all HD broadcasts are in 16x9. It's part of the HD standard. I have a 32" 4:3 HDTV and I don't mind the black bars at all. I'm glad I went with the 32" 4:3 because #1 I still get HD and #2 all other programming (which is about 90% of whats on TV) fills the whole screen. I can't stand stretching at all on WS's.

Once I have enough money and enough things are in HD I'm def. going to upgrade and get the 16:9. I don't see this happening for another 2 years or so.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

All true HD is 16:9 by spec/definition. Note that upconverted SD signals (all non-HD content that is broadcast on a HD channel) is usually 4:3. Different channels handle this differently. Most broadcast this content with black or grey bars on the side. I know ESPN-HD stretches this to fill the 16:9 screen, there may be others. This may affect your decision because a 4:3 signal with bars on the side would have bars on all 4 sides when displayed in the 16:9 window on a 4:3 tv. This may not matter to you because most HD channels have an analog counterpart that broadcasts the signal normally and you could just switch to that.