HDTV Big Screen Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marlin Gross, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Marlin Gross

Marlin Gross Auditioning

I just recently returned to the U.S. from a 3 year tour in Europe with the Army. I am way out of the loop as far as HT tech goes. I am looking to purchase a HDTV Big screen. Can anyone make any recomendations. My budget for the purchase is $2500-$3500.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Welcom Marlin!

That budget will buy you a very nice set indeed.

It would be helpful to know what your priorities are in choosing the set--What are your most important sources, what are you going to be using the set for the most--dvd, HD, sports on regular tv?

Do you live in an area that has much if any available HD material? Are you planning on getting your HD from cable, satellite, local over the air?

Do you have a strong preference for a widescreen or 4/3 set?

About how far from the set will your normal viewing distance be?

Is your budget just for the tv, or for a complete setup (dvd player, a/v reciever, speakers, HD-tuner)?

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but it's easier to make recommendations with a little more insight into what your needs and priorities are in choosing a set.

3. Marlin Gross

Marlin Gross Auditioning

DVD, Cable, SAT and X-Box will be my main sources.

My HD signal will come from Cable and Sat.

Widescreen set is prefered.

12' will be my wiewing distance.

The budget is for the TV Only...BUT if a Really good Widescreen will cost less I would like to get a Progresive scan DVD changer 200+.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Marlin,

From a 12 foot viewing distance you should probably be looking at something in the 57 or even 65 inch range.

Good progressive scan dvd changers can be had for about $250, the Panasonic CP72 or one of the JVC models are good choices as they don't have the Chroma bug.

That would leave $3250 or less for the tv.

There are many 55-57 inch sets in the 2500-3000 range from Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hitachi, Sony, Panasonic, and a few 65 inch models like the Tosh H82 can be found for under 3300. Pioneer sets are very highly regarded but come in 53 and 60+ inch sizes. The 53 incher is in your price range but the bigger size probably isn't.

Since you're still going to be watching a lot of 4/3 stuff from ntsc sources, good line doubling and stretch modes are pretty important on a widescreen set.

In general Pioneer, Toshiba and Sonys have better variable stretch modes than Hitachi and Mits. Pioneers also have excellent line doublers, Sonys Tosh and Hitachi are also good, Mits not quite as good.

Hitachi and Toshiba sets upconvert 480i and 480p to 540p, some say this causes some loss of resolution for dvd, moreso on the Tosh than the Hitachi.

Pioneer, Sony, Mits, Panasonic do 480p natively. Sony offers the option of 480p with or without 3/2 pulldown or 960i for 480i sources. All these sets have 3/2 pulldown for non-progressive dvd, but it's better to use a progressive scan player with that feature (most all progressive scan players have this.)

My suggestion would be to go out to the stores in your area and look around a bit, keeping in mind that some or even most stores aren't too good at providing consistent good feeds to their display sets and keeping the sets adjusted properly. If you see some sets you like in your price range, write down the model number and check out this forum and Home Theater Spot for comments and opinions from owners of those models regarding picture quality and reliability, perhaps posting inquiries about the specific model you're considering so folks who already have one can report their experiences with them.

5. Marlin Gross

Marlin Gross Auditioning

Can you recomend a quick and dirty faq on the diffrent types of display formats like 480i, 480p, 540p, 1080i. They seem so confusing.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Marlin,

As for a faq on the various scan rates, I'm sure one exists but I couldn't find one, and I'm using webtv and haven't figured out how to post a link anyway (I know a bit more about HT than I do about computers, lol)

Basically 480p, 480i, 1080i all refer to the number of scan lines that make up the picture and whether they are scanned all at once from top to bottom (Progressive) or with alternate lines scanned separately (interlaced).

The higher the number of lines the better as a rule, and progressive scanning has the effect of "doubling" the percieved number of lines. So theoretically 480p has twice the percieved number of scan lines as 480i.

I'd strongly suggest you start another thread with a request for such a faq in the header, there are a lot of folks here who could probably post links to such a faq for you.