HDTV Basics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm completely new to HDTV, and like all newbies I have a bunch of stupid questions for the brilliant minds here... I do not yet have a HDTV set, only looking.
    I have a non-progressive DVD player, will I see any advantage with an HD set?
    I'm getting either DISH or DirecTV at my next apartment, what do I need to look for on the receiver?
    Will I only truly get HD material if I hook the sat receiver up to the component inputs?
    Which sat company is better at this point in supporting HDTV?
    What is the point of 3:2 pulldown on a HDTV (or am I mixing up non-HD stuff...)?
    If anyone would be willing to chat with me (via MSN Messenger or Yahoo) about this, I'd be very appreciative. I'm quite apprehensive about this purchase and I'm sure I'd be calmed with 10 minutes or so of discussion with a knowledgable person. [​IMG] If anyone's up for it, email me at [email protected]
    Thanks!

2. GlenH

GlenH Stunt Coordinator

Why wait for the answers when you can lurk and search and immediately find ALL the info you want to know?

3. Dave Schofield

I've tried searching backboards for this information. The problem that I run into, and I'm sure others have found this to be the case as well is that after the first discussion of a new technology or feature it is relegated to "already understand" status and those that weren't there for the "understanding" part are completely lost. I spent two hours a few days ago looking through posts about Sony Wegas looking for which models automatically do the squeeze and which require user menu changes.

I'm not completely abandoning the search engine, I'm just hoping that others remember being in my shoes with a million questions...

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

5. Dave Schofield

Thanks Masood! Am I correct in assuming that the 3:2 Pulldown is the same as the Sony "squeeze trick"? If so, I think I understand it.

As a follow up, if I hooked up the Dish/DirecTV receiver via s-video, would I be completely "sabotaging" HD material? If so, I've got to look for a set with two or three component inputs...

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You will not be able to receive an HD signvia via S video cable. Component only.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer