HDTV Basics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I finally got around to getting my Panny 53WX42 last October, but now I'm itching for HDTV. So far I've only been using the TV for DVD presentation, but I yearn for more [​IMG]

Any good faqs out there for the basics. I'm sure this question has been answered countless times, but the search feature is disabled due to high server load...

Thx in advance.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    First go to Antennaweb to find out which of your local stations are broadcasting a digital signal and your orientation to their antennas. Second, call your cable company and see if they are carrying HD programming. My local cable company is only carrying HBO-HD and Showtime HD no locals yet. I'm using DirecTV for HBO-HD, Showtime HD, HD-Net and HD-PPV. I have an antenna connected to my sat receiver for my local HD signals. You can get a similar setup with Dish but the programming is slightly different. They have HBO-HD, Showtime HD, HD-PPV, HD demo (may not be available to all locations), Discovery HD (separate $7.99/month subscription) and CBS-HD (in selected markets). Local OTA digital signals can also be picked up with an optional add on module. DirecTV uses one 18"x20" dish while Dish uses a 20" round dish and an 18" round dish.

Any specific questions?

-Robert