What's new

HDTV Audio Question (1 Viewer)

rob bozer

Auditioning
First of all let me start off by saying hello, since I'm new to this forum. Thank god for great places like this =)

Now, my question.

I just recently bought a new rear projection Toshiba 46" 46h83 television. It allows me to watch HDTV signals just fine now that I picked up the HDTV digital cable box from Time Warner. The picture looks great on the 4 channels that it comes in HDTV. The problem is, that theres only one set of Audio input ports on the back of the cable box (made by scientific atlanta). Currently I have the HDTV plugged into the audio ports, but when I want to watch S-Video (regular TV channels/non-hd) I have to go behind the cable box and replug in the S-video feeds audio cables. Why they didnt add two additional ports for the S-Video audio is beyond me. Does anyone know of an easy solution? Perhaps there is some sort of audio splitter?

Thanks in advance =)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to adjust the box so you can view SD (480i/p) signals through the component (HD) inputs. List the model number of you SciAtlanta HD box and maybe we can walk you throug it. If this is not possible (I'm only familiar with Motorola's box, which allows you to override the HD output for 4:3 material), you can always purchase 'Y' cables for your audio and feed it to both audio inputs.

I looked at the SA site and found this, it may be of help. Pay close attention to the parts about display formats on pgs. 12 - 15.

Link to setup guide for Sci Atlanta HD boxes

Johnny Mo

Agent
Rob,

I'm a little confused. I have a similar Tosh HDTV and Cablevision with the Scientific Atlanta Box (4200HD). I have a set of HDTV video outs (component video) with a set of HDTV audio outs. I also have a 5.1 coax digital out, and s-video outs with separate s-video audio outs. I'm not sure I follow you on the inputs side of the equation. Does the TV not have 3 or 4 inputs?

You should be able to have all of them running at the same time, off the cable box, and then switch them electronically via the different inputs on the tv. Which sci-atl box do you have...they have pics on their website too, so if you link it here (or take a digi-pic) of your exact box it may make it easier to see what's going on. The other option is to just plug the coax from the cable box directly to the TV and switch the inputs when you want to go via the ANT1 feed versus the Colorstream HD1 feed.

rob bozer

Auditioning
Unfortunately Im at work now and nowhere near the box. Anyplace online I could look it up just by the picture of what I remember it looking like?

rob bozer

Auditioning
Its either the 3100HDexplorer or 3170HD explorer. Unfortunately, I cant post images or URLS' just yet.

Johnny Mo

Agent
Okay, now I see the problem...I think you can just get a set of y cables like Jeff G suggested to split the audio connections coming off the box. When you switch video inputs on the tv the audio will go out to both, but I don't think it'll cause any problem since it should be switched off "internally" anyway, when you switch between the HD1 input and Video1 for the S-Video signal.

rob bozer

Auditioning
Thanks for the help guys. Im headed to radio shack for lunch =)

I'll post back tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

rob bozer

Auditioning
Hey guys, it was as simple as the Y cables. Working great now! Thanks for the support =)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks