HDTV/Aspect Ratio question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Andy Hercock, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Andy Hercock

Andy Hercock Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Samsung Dynaflat 1080i HDTV, which of course allows me to change the aspect ratio of the display (wide, panorama, 4:3, etc etc.). I have my DVD player connected to one component input, my Xbox into the second and my PlayStation 2 into the S-video input. My question is this: when I'm playing a movie or an Xbox game that doesn't support 16x9 through either of the component inputs, the TV won't allow me to modify the aspect ratio, telling me 'not available' and forcing me to view/play it stretched. Furthermore, I tried altering the display settings of both the Xbox and the DVD player to reflect a 4:3 TV, thinking that it would then allow me to set the TV to 4:3 mode, but that didn't work either - as soon as I would boot up the movie/game/whatever, it would automatically reset the TV to widescreen mode! It's not such a big deal with the video games, as many look ok when stretched to fit the screen; where it really becomes problematic, though, is when trying to watch a TV show or something like that from a DVD. Interestingly, I don't have this issue while using the S-video input -- I can change the screen size at will. Is this normal? If so, is there some sort of workaround? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm considering picking up a multi-component switch. Someone recommended the Pelican model. I'm wondering if there's any noticeable image degradation when using one of these things. I'm sure this has been covered before but if someone could give me their thoughts on the matter, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Andy

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Sounds like your display "locks in full" with a progressive input. The solution is to turn off the progressive output from the DVD/X-Box when playing a non-anamorphic title or to hook these up via s-video for any non-anamorphic titles (s-video is not progressive). The third option is to buy a DVD that does scaling of non-anamorphic titles (JVC, Panasonic RP-91). This does not help your gaming problems, however.

Do a search for "locks in full" for more details.

3. Andy Hercock

Andy Hercock Auditioning

Thanks Jeff, I didn't realize that was an option... I'll try that out as soon as I get home.

Cheers,
    Andy