What's new

HDTV antennas (1 Viewer)

Thomas W

Agent
I'm thinking of trying out the Antiference Silversensor indoor antenna to receive HDTV OTA broadcasts. It's a made-in-England product. I looked around on some web sites and found a Zenith ZHDTV1 antenna that looks exactly the same as the Antiference Silversensor. Is it the exact same antenna marketed through Zenith for U.S. consumption? Or is the Zenith only a look alike copy?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I believe it's the same antenna. I also read somewhere that Circuit City is carrying the Zenith now.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Good afternoon---
...I'm afraid I'm pretty much a novice in this area, but I'm interested...!
What is the ballpark cost of these antennas?
Last year, I purchased a 16x9 HDTV compatible TV, but I have not yet made the jump to HDTV. I know that my local cable provider, Time Warner, offers a set-top HDTV receiver similar to their regular digital cable boxes. Of course, they also charge a nice monthly rental fee, and few channels are offered [I believe there are currently 4 + HBO and Showtime---IF you subscribe to those channels.]
I assume that the antenna would be another option...?
If anyone can offer any links to FAQs, etc.---or a simple answer---I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, and have a perfect day.
mattl

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Matt,

Does your HDTV have a built-in HD tuner, or is it an HD-ready set. If it does not have a built-in tuner, you will need to purchase an external HD tuner if you decide to not get the set top box from your cable company. For over-the-air (OTA) only, the least expensive box available right now is the Samsung SIR-T151, which sells online for just under $400.

The proper antenna for HD reception will depend on your distance from the transmitting towers, the terrain, etc. I am about 20 miles from the TV towers and use a $17 Radio Shack double bowtie UHF antenna to receive all the digital stations in the Detroit area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks