HDTV antennas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas W, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Thomas W

Thomas W Agent

I'm thinking of trying out the Antiference Silversensor indoor antenna to receive HDTV OTA broadcasts. It's a made-in-England product. I looked around on some web sites and found a Zenith ZHDTV1 antenna that looks exactly the same as the Antiference Silversensor. Is it the exact same antenna marketed through Zenith for U.S. consumption? Or is the Zenith only a look alike copy?

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I believe it's the same antenna. I also read somewhere that Circuit City is carrying the Zenith now.

3. Thomas W

Thomas W Agent

Thanks for the info Brian. I'll check out Circuit City.

4. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Good afternoon---
    ...I'm afraid I'm pretty much a novice in this area, but I'm interested...!
    What is the ballpark cost of these antennas?
    Last year, I purchased a 16x9 HDTV compatible TV, but I have not yet made the jump to HDTV. I know that my local cable provider, Time Warner, offers a set-top HDTV receiver similar to their regular digital cable boxes. Of course, they also charge a nice monthly rental fee, and few channels are offered [I believe there are currently 4 + HBO and Showtime---IF you subscribe to those channels.]
    I assume that the antenna would be another option...?
    If anyone can offer any links to FAQs, etc.---or a simple answer---I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks, and have a perfect day.
    mattl

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Matt,

Does your HDTV have a built-in HD tuner, or is it an HD-ready set. If it does not have a built-in tuner, you will need to purchase an external HD tuner if you decide to not get the set top box from your cable company. For over-the-air (OTA) only, the least expensive box available right now is the Samsung SIR-T151, which sells online for just under $400.

The proper antenna for HD reception will depend on your distance from the transmitting towers, the terrain, etc. I am about 20 miles from the TV towers and use a $17 Radio Shack double bowtie UHF antenna to receive all the digital stations in the Detroit area.