What's new

HDTV Antenna Problem (1 Viewer)

Juan.F

Grip
I recently purchased a HD antenna from Radioshack (Brand: Terk, Catalog#:15-1872, Model: HDTVi [sorry, can't post links yet])to receive OTA HD signals. I set it up and I can get NBC, CBS and PBS HD signals just fine. However, I cannot get FOX or ABC HD channels. I believe that both Fox and ABC broadcast in 720p. While reading the box the antenna came in it mentions it is set up to receive 1080i HD signals but I see no reference to 720p. Does this mean I'm out of luck as far as receiving Fox or ABC HD Signals? Does someone know of an antenna that will fit my needs better?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Consult AntennaWeb for details on how to point your antenna.

In most localities, HDTV stations are located on the UHF band-- a relatively decent UHF antenna, such as your Terk might suffice. However, in Miami, the ABC affiliate broadcasts on channel 9 and the Fox affiliate broadcasts on channel 8. Both are located in the VHF band, and require a VHF antenna of some kind. If your antenna has rabbit ears, try extending those.

Juan.F

Grip
Many thanks Jeremy. Yeah, I've gone to AntennaWeb and got the info, now I just need to get a compass to make sure I'm pointing in the right direction. And the rabbit ears are fully extended . . . and quite long I might add. Thanks, I'll keep trying tonight.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Keep in mind there is nothing special about an "HD antenna." As Jeremy said, all it has to do is pick up UHF/VHF signals, same as every tv antenna from jurassic times. It makes no difference what format the station is broadcasting in 1080i, 720p, stereo, dolby digital 5.1, whatever. I use a $6 set of rabbit ears myself. I kind of like the way it looks sitting on top of $6k worth of tv and sound system.

Juan.F

Grip
lol. That's great.

Thanks Charlie, I was sort of worried about the whole 1080i, 720p situation. At least now I know I just need to find the correct placement for the antenna and it's not a matter of the format the HD is being broadcasted in..

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
There are 18 different formats for ATSC television. All tuners are capable of decoding all 18 formats, although some upconversion or downconversion may result-- a SDTV tuner will take that gorgeous 1080p/24 picture and downconvert it to 480i/60.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have not heard good things about Terk brand antennas. (In fact, a lot of negative comments about them.) I believe the Zenith "Silver Sensor" has a very good reputation for pulling in lots of channels.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Oh. I thought the Terk was a clone of the silver sensor (which is a damn fine antenna. UHF only, though)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A "look-alike" yes, but not a "perform-alike".

One guy in San Diego went to Best Buy and bought 3 different OTA recievers and 3 different antennas. He spent all weekend trying each receiver with each antenna and rated them based on how many channels each combination would bring in, and the signal strength on some weak stations. It was suprising how much difference the combinations made. The Silver Sensor was the antenna he kept, and I have read from some other fourms where peoples systems improved when they returned the Terk product.

Juan.F

Grip
Thanks for the info Bob. I might take back the Terk and see about picking up the Zenith. I have had no luck picking up Fox or ABC HD signals and I've pointed the antenna in every possible direction. :thumbsdown:

Edit: I just saw the Zenith online, it says it is a UHF antenna. Fox and ABC broadcast locally here on channels 7 and 10, so, this antenna won't help me out picking those up I assume.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wondering how acute the cries of pain will be when the FCC starts to migrate the high UHF digital stations back into the VHF band.

BTW, it is possible to receive channels above six or seven with a "UHF only" antennas. With my silver sensor, I can receive 7 and 9 (both analog) although I have no idea if the signal quality would be sufficient for digital reception.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
In most cases, after ceasing analog broadcasting, stations can choose whether to keep their old channel or their new channel. If one channel is above 50 (UHF) the station must give that one up when the time comes and keep the other.

Generally the lower channels have a greater coverage for a given transmitter power, although the FCC may have differing power limits that reduce that advantage.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks