HDTV answers please...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by BillMA, Oct 18, 2003.

1. BillMA

BillMA Auditioning

I am new to HDTV. I just purchased the Hitachi 51S500, and also hooked in to HDTV with Comcast's Motorola converter box. Can someone please tell me why some of my HD channels look great, exactly what I expected, and some of the channels that are listed as HD look terrible(or at least much worse than the good channels)???
    For instance, the PBS channel is FANTASTIC, while my HD network channels are average at best. The HBO HD is ok, but still doesn't compare with my PBS or a channel I have called INHD. How come there is such a major difference?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
    Bill

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

The most likely possibility is that not all channels you are watching are true HD. Most channels (PBS is the exception) don't broadcast HD 24/7 but rather for special events and primetime programming.
    For me,anything with black bars at the sides of the screen is just an upconverted SD signal, but anything that is broadcast in 16x9 is HD.
    Also, I've noticed that some channels don't look that great for some reason... ABC seems to not look as good as any of the other HD channels, but still WAY better than SD.
    Also HD has a really wide bandwidth, and I got rid of many of the problems I was having at first by tossing the cables that came in the box [​IMG]

3. Percell

Percell Extra

I hear you loud and clear.....
    Just like me here south of Seattle, I too have HD through Comcast. I don't think HBO or Showtime broadcast in true HD. The local ABC station carries their news show in HD and it looks great. Also the 8pm -11pm shows on ABC are in HD.(Except for primetime live) I really enjoy MNF, NYPD Blue, George Lopez and other ABC shows. On the PBS side, we have a station that shows HD between 5pm till midnight. On this channel, HD looks great as well. INHD and INHD2 are outstanding. What I can not wait for is FOX to start broadcasting in HD!

4. BillMA

BillMA Auditioning

Maybe you're right about the cables. I did pick up the Monster componant cables for my prog. DVD to TV hookup, as well as the Monster HTS1000 surge protector. I ran out of money for now, so I waited on buying another set of componant cables and audio cables. I tend to think that wouldn't be the problem, though, as a few of the channels look great.

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I think most of what you are seeing (assuming you are comparing actual HD shows, not upconverts), is the difference between HD shot on HD video cameras vs. transfers from shows shot on film. It's a different look (I wouldn't call it terrible, just different). Compare two shows on the same channel, NBC, Tonight Show / Leno vs. say one of their dozen Law & Order spinoffs. The Tonight Show should look closer to what you see on PBS.

Changing cables won't do anything.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Stephen Tu nailed it.

I've had HD for 2 years now. HDNet, Discovery HD, and other channels that run mostly HD-video originated programming have a lot more of the "looking thru a window" effect than channels showing filmed content.

Next time you go to a movie theater pay close attention to the picture--see that graininess on some movies, especially in dark scenes? A regular 27-36 inch analog tv just doesn't have the resolution to show that grain, while your new HD set definitely does. Your actually seeing the grain on filmed stuff that your old analog set kept hidden.

Same is true of filmed network tv shows vs video HD from your local station's HD news show (very few local stations are equipped to do local shows in HD--you're lucky) or Leno.

The PBS demo loops likewise were originally shot in HD video.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to TV & HDTV Programming.