What's new

HDTV and screen size (some is 4:3, other is 16:9) (1 Viewer)

Dan Belina

Agent
Hey all,

HDTV newbie here..just got box installed for Samsung HLP5063W.

Does screen size vary by program?

I was watching "Vertical" on INHD, and it was broadcast in 16:9.

Then I switched to ESPN HD for some World cup hockey and it was 4:3, but looked like the sidebars were ESPN added (they had an grey striped "HD" graphic in them).

Then I switched to NBCHD, whith was broadcasting a talkshow. This was also in 4:3, but the sidebars were black, like default ones for the TV.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
True HDTV is broadcast 16:9 (all INHD is true HDTV). When you see the 4:3 stuff with sidebars, it is an upconversion of 4:3 SD material, not true HDTV. ESPN used to stretch their 4:3 material, but they do not anymore, they now use sidebars. Most primetime dramas, some primetime comedies (CBS especially), some sports (especially football), ESPN games of the week and Sportscenter, Leno, all PBS-HD, all INHD and all Discovery-HD are in true HDTV. Most of the other programming is not and will be upconverted 4:3 with bars on the sides. Different stations/networks broadcast different looking 4:3 bars, some are grey, some black, some with a logo (like EPSN).

Dan Belina

Agent
Thanks Jeff.

Man, looks like my cable company doesnt carry ABC-HD (no Monday Night Football in HD :angry: ) or DiscoveryHD

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just recently dumped cable HD myself. I also had an OTA tuner I bought before I had cable. Lucky enough still able to get MNF HD.

When I would be having HD problems on the cable, most times I was able to check them against the OTA broadcast, and it was always the cable system creating the issue, so I dumped it.

Did I ge Sat.? Direct TV? nope, I decided for my entertaiment value, long term, I would be way more a head taking that money and buying media / movies instead.

Comcrud won't get another dime out of me for cable, ever.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I heard that Comcast around here just picked up Discovery HD. I have DirecTv with the HD programing and OTA too. Im happy with it.

Dan Belina

Agent
My TV didnt have a tuner built in, so I opted to get a box from the cable company.

Can I hook up an antenna to the box, or do I need a tuner? (and how many channels could I expect to pull in?)

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator

All the more reason to dump cable for Directv, and if you like NFL there will be more than 50 HD games on Sunday Ticket. Make the move to Directv.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

Depends on the # and kind of inputs on the tuner you have. My Hughes E-86 with DirecTv has the Satellite input and an OTA antenna input. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks