HDTV and pixelization

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Herman S, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Herman S

Herman S Agent

I recently had a HD antenna installed in my attic to receive OTA HD signals. I notice that when I watch Jay Leno broadcasted from NBC High def, when the camera pans around, I could see pixelization as if the image was breaking up. This also happens with flashing lights.

Another things I noticed is that when I am watching a HD program and a person in the picture has a finely striped shirt or tie, the lines seem to be moving rapidly.

Can someone tell me if there is problem with my signal reception, monitor or my set top box?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

At this still relatively early stage in the development of HDTV, it is not uncommon to notice the occasional episode of pixelization. As for the artifacting you're noticing with striped patterns, such artifacting occurs to varying degrees whenever you're dealing with a video device that must scan in lines across the screen.

Do you have screened windows? Look through them sometime with your eyes slightly out of focus. You'll notice an organic and similar form of "video artifacting."

3. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Herman-

Yup, it happens every now and again. You'll also notice that some stations do better at broadcasting and not over-compressing their signals. Likewise--you'll also notice that your local affiliates will handle HDTV signals differently. Luckily in Seattle, we don't have too many problems--I've heard folks over at AVS Forum from all over the country moaning about their local affiliates severely screwing up some of their favorite shows, etc. Anyway, the best I've seen of the nightly TV fare is probably CSI Miami--the outdoor sequences are simply gorgeous. Check it out. Alias is fun to watch--it looks great, even though the picture is a bit grainy. (on purpose--sort of a stylistic move--to give it a more filmic quality--you find some shows will do that) Another very cool thing about Alias is that it's in 5.1, so it sounds awesome too.

If you continue to have severe flicker problems (you didn't really indicate whether or not it's subtle or severe), make sure your STB and/or display is/are rated for the resolutions the stations are putting out--I'm not really an expert on who's programming what, but I think, for instance ABC is putting out 720p, whereas NBC broadcasts in 1080i. I could be wrong about that, but you get the general idea.

Good luck, and enjoy HD!