HDTV and DTV Myths

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by CarlosGH, Jul 31, 2004.

1. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

This may be an old question, but no one has clearly explained this to me. I've asked as Best Buy and Circuit City, but then what do they know. Many people have told me to buy and HDTV because in 2008 all TV and channels must be in HDTV. While this would be wonderful, I doubt that it could be done in less than 3 years.

Another probable myth, all TVs must be DTV or have a digital tuner built in. I thought TV had digital tuners?

Many people have qouted me FCC mandates and what not, but I wanted to ask those in the know if any of these myths were true or pure nonsense. Will I have to buy a new DTV or HDTV or DTV convertor. I don't know and would like to shut those people who make stupid and crazy claims about changing technology.

2. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

From what I heard, when HDTV comes in the tuner will be in your cable box.

And an HDTV tuner now knocks the price of a plasma screen up by a thousand bucks or more. I opted out of this.

I know HDTV is the wave of the future but we've been promised it since what, 1990?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

• The FCC has mandated broadcasters to return the analog channels by 2006 or until — I think — 85 percent of the population has digital sets or digital converters for use on their analog sets, whichever comes first.

This ruling, however, is not set in stone, and given that most people in the country are oblivious to the whole DTV thing and will scream holy rage when they find out they won't be able to get OTA television signals until they buy new equipment, it's doubtful the analog channels will go dark in 2006.

• According to the FCC, all televisions of 30 inches and larger must start incorporating digital tuners after, I believe, 2005 or 2006. Depending on market conditions, then all displays at 27 inches and up will have to incorporate digital tuners. Again, all this is subject to so many variables, not the least of which is an informed public (something a few of the current FCC commissioners don't seem to care about anyway).

• Only a few HD-capable displays on the market presently incorporate ATSC tuners. The vast majority require an external ATSC source. That will change.

• This is not "nonsense." It is the reality of the situation. At some point, you are either going to have to purchase a digital-to-analog tuner/converter for your present set, or purchase a new digital-capable set and ATSC tuner. The analog bandwidth is being returned to the FCC, though most likely not in 2006.

4. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

Dont remember the year.. but CRTC or whom ever granted another like 2-5 years to get HDTV going... retards

5. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

So if I put my 2003 TV in storage till 2010, then I will need to buy a convertor when I use it again?

6. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

yep. lol