What's new

HDTV and Dolby Digital EX? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if any HDTV programming in 5.1 (Harry Potter on HBOHD, for example) is flagged or otherwise available in DD-EX, like the DVDs? Dolby.com just says 5.1 programming, but I would think that if they're using the HD masters for video, they'd be using the DVD-equivalent mix for audio, right?
**UPDATE**: After checking the "What's New" section on Dolby.com I found my answer:
Feature films released in Dolby Digital Surround EX include the encoded third surround channel in subsequent DVD-Video offerings, as well as during 5.1-channel Dolby Digital satellite and terrestrial television broadcasts. When a home theater system has a receiver or preamp/processor equipped with Dolby Digital EX decoding, viewers can experience the movie soundtracks as they were intended to be heard, with the increased spatial realism created by the additional surround channel.
So, it appears that EX encoding is applied to digital sources, although HDTV is not specifically mentioned. Why they didn't put this in the DTV section, I don't know, but at least it's addressed.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because Dolby Surround EX IS 5.1

It's a matrixed rear channel, like how Dolby Pro-Logic works

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I know that it's a matrixed solution, but the HDTV and DVD presentations are different. I didn't know if the HDTV signals carried the same audio information as the DVDs, since it's different video information. That's why I posted (and answered) the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks