HDTV and Dish Network?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_P, May 10, 2001.

1. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

If I buy a HD-Ready TV, do I just have to get the HD-receiver from Dish Network or do I have to still buy a decoder?
    Also, do I have to get a new dish?
    Sorry if these are dumb questions but I am trying to get as research done to find out what extra cost I am going to have when I finally do buy one.
    Jeff_P

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The dish 6000 receiver is both a sat receiver and hd Decoder..There is a separate ota module for the over the air digital channels...
    Since dish has it's HD programming on the 61.5 bird you will need an extra dish..It's core programming is on the 110 and 119 satellite which you can get both birds with the dish 500 .....Dish has plenty of room on the 61.5 sat and this will allow them to add more HD channels as they become available..
    ------------------

3. Randy Boecker

Jeff,
    I just switched from DirecTV to Dish Network. I have a Toshiba TW56x81 (hdtv-ready) television. From Dish Depot (GREAT folks, GREAT prices, I'd highly recommend they be your first and ONLY stop for Dish equipment), I bought:
    Dish 500 twin-LNB 20" satellite dish. This dish enables you to pick up programming from both the 119 and 110 degree orbital positions.
    Dish 6000 receiver. Necessary to receive and decode HDTV signals.
    8VSB OTA tuner for the Dish 6000. To this, I plugged in a set-top amplified UHF antenna from Radio Shack, and I can pick up all three of my local channels in glorious digital and HDTV (when they broadcast HDTV)
    With the Dish 6000 and the 8VSB tuner, you don't need anything else. The 6000 makes it easy to switch between satellite and terrestrial digital transmissions.
    I used my existing 18" that I had for DirecTV and swung it over to the 61.5 degree orbital position for HDTV.
    I then called Dish and ordered my programming. That simple. In the morning I had DirecTV, by 3:00 I had Dish. And I did the install myself (pretty easy, I think)
    Best of luck to you!

4. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Randy, we must be twins! [​IMG] I also upgraded to the Dish 6000 w/8VSB using my current single dish to catch the HDTV bird; then added the Dish 500 . ProvidesaA great pic on my TW56X81 as well.
    I painted my dish'es to match my house.
    Pic (link) below was taken before the upgrade:
    hometheater.home.att.net/dishant.htm

5. Alan Light

Alan Light Stunt Coordinator

I switched from DirecTV to Dish Network about 2 months ago and I'm very pleased overall. In the past few days Dish Network's HBO has been having some minor "tiling" problems, hopefully a bug they can work out. It doesn't happen often but it is annoying when it happens. Read the thread here to find out more: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/002673.html