HDTV and DirectTV, Dish Network and Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrenS, Feb 3, 2001.

1. DarrenS

DarrenS Auditioning

I am moving into a new house and will be setting up a HDTV home theater. I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are on Dish and DirecTV with regard to HDTV. Which is better, pros and cons.
    Also, Time Warner is broadcasting HDTV in my area and was wondering if anybody had any experience with their HDTV channels.
    Thank you so much for your help

2. Geoff Harris

Geoff Harris Auditioning

3. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

At current standings,I believe that the Dish Network has an advantage over DirecTV with their support of HDTV.This conclusion based on them carrying the Showtime HD feed.DirecTV only carries HBO at present along with a Pay Per View channel that is essentially useless to me.They only broadcast the pay per view after Midnight for the Eastern time zone.The rest of the day the channel is a HD Demo loop.
    This kinda ticks me off.I stayed with DirecTV because I already had two receivers.Had it not been for this fact,I probably would've switched.I don't know what kind of schedule DirecTV has to increase their support for more HD programming,but am looking and hoping it is in the not too distant future.
    As far as non HD signal programming,I think that Dish has a slight advantage there as well in their programming packages available.That is unless you are an advid sports nut,in which case DirecTV has the advantage.Albeit at sometimes a substantial price IMHO.
    ------------------
    Go sell crazy somewhere else,We're all stocked up here!

4. GaryS

GaryS Agent

Jim,
    DirecTV does have plans to add more HD channels. They are currently working with Mark Cuban to add a 24 hour HD sports channel and said at CES that ShowtimeHD would be added in a couple of months.
    While Dish does have a dedicated PPV channel I think DirecTV offers a better selection although too late for most east coast people. Dish has shown 3 new movies in the last 3 months, 2 of which are this month. They are just recycling the same movies.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I just went with Dish Network after having basic cable forever.. I love it! It's cheaper than DirectV too.
    Chip