What's new

HDTV and cable question (1 Viewer)

Mike S.

Auditioning
While technically not a newbie, I am a HDTV newbie. My cable company, Comcast, offers HDTV programming for my locals and HBO, ESPN, PBS, etc.

This is what I would probably get when I get my new HDTV set. However, I have heard from a couple of sources that this is not as good a quality as I would get if I put an antenna on my roof (at least for the national networks.) This is due to the fact that cable's bandwidth is limited and the signal is compressed more than an over the air signal.

Is this true?

Thanks for your help.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It also varies by network affiliate as far as Over the Air stuff goes. Some are now running sub channels along with the HD, causing the same effect.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
If you watch any sports, you are going to want either comcast or directv hd. Sports in HD is probably the best programming out there in terms of improved viewing due to the HD. Discovery channel and HDNet have some pretty good stuff to show off the great HD picture, but they don't show anything I tune in to regularly. If you are trying to decide whether to get HD through comcast, directv or just watch what you can get over air, it depends on your viewing habits. ESPN has a lot of games in HD that you obviously can't get over air. Sportscenter is also in HD but that's not such a big deal since the highlights usually are not, and who needs to see Berman's face in HD? Not me!

Tim K

Second Unit
Comcast claims not to compress any HD signals and to broadcast them as received.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Although I cannot scientifically verify this, I have compared the two (OTA and Comcast cable) and did not discern any difference in quality. Anecdotal, but it was important to me when I chose Comcast.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Comcast always starts out that way.. Then in many markets starts compressing as they add more content. So it depends, and it may change in the future for you even if they aren't compressing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks