HDTV and 20/20 vision

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Joel...Lane, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

This may be a silly question, but I was curious if HD resolution would be the same as, better than, or worse than 20/20 eyesight?

Let's say there's a closeup of an object on tv. A leaf, shoe, ball, whatever. If you were holding that same object in your hand would it be clearer or would the HD image bring out more detail than what's right in front of you?

I don't have an HDTV and have only seen images while in stores which are probably not calibrated very well.

Of course, if you don't have 20/20 to begin with, I guess it would be hard to tell anyway. [​IMG]

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I was going to mention that it's only as good as your own vision until your last line [​IMG]

I can't imagine that HD could EVER replicate the subtlies of vision, but it doea look really, really good! [​IMG]

3. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I think the question being asked can be stated thus... "Is HDTV capable of delivering more resolution than the eye can resolve?" Detail is always limited by the lowest component, even if that component is the human eye.

I don't have specs with me, so I'm not going to give an answer, but be aware the ability to resolve detail for a given object depends on the distance to the object. Can I resolve more detail on a shoe I'm holding in my hand or a 21" HDTV 8 feet away from me? Well, that's just easy. I can resolve more detail on the shoe in my hand because it may be only 3-4 inches away.

Still, as has been said, top HDTV resolution is great, and a huge improvement over current analog technology.

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

It is dependent on the distance from the screen. My 65" set, if I'm just in front of it, say 3 to 5 feet, the picture hardly looks like reality, since there is some line structure that can be seen. But anything over 12 feet, and reality describes the picture perfectly. I was watching some Dog Show on Discovery Channel last night, and the family was mesmerized at the picture quality.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The answer is "no". HD-video doesn't even has as much resolution as 35MM film is capable of. But it's heaploads better than the best we had previously.

6. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Why is the standard 20/20 vision. 20/20 isn't perfect vision, it's merely "normal" vision. Perfect vision is 10/10. In either case, however, HDTV can't match reality -- not yet.

7. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I think I understand where the OP is coming from. Shortly after I got my HD it struck me: HD is better than my sight (which is 20/20 corrected).

Lemme see if I can splain. I noticed this mostly on DiscoveryHD.

I am looking at a scene out in nature (real nature). Trees very far away ... I can see clumps that represent leaves.

On DiscoveryHD, they film the same shot. I am sitting about 12 ft. from the tv. I can now see individual leaves on the tree, where in reality I can only see clumps of leaves. Likewise, with distant mountains, I can see sharply delineated snow lines on DiscoveryHD ... IRL I can see a vague cutoff.

HD IS better than human vision.

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No, HD lenses just have a better focal length and smaller apertures than regular lenses (including the one in our eyes).[​IMG] Being sharp at a distance is more a factor of the aperture used and the ability of the lens to resolve at that aperture than it is of the resolution of the medium.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So a 2-D interlaced image is better than 20/20 vision? Hallelujah!! Computers have been working with 1600x1200 progressive resolution for years but why is it that when it hits the home theater market a high res is suddenly better than the human eye?

Film is also better than HD as noted above, and that's been around for decades. Guess it's the shock of seeing HD in the home for the first time.

10. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Actually, perfect vision would be 20/10. What a person sees at 10 feet, you can see at 20 feet. Likewise, 20/200 is bad because what a person can see at 200 feet, you need to be 20 feet away to see.

I had horrible vision (never measured on the 20/20 scale, but my prescription was -9 diopters), but after Lasik about 6 years back, my vision in sunlight is around 20/18, but when I was at the eye doctor in a dark room, I mustered 20/25 because of haloing and such.

11. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

Yeah, kind of figured our eyesight is better. I guess what I was thinking out loud was, if a rating or percentage could somehow be given to how closely an HD image compares to 20/20, what would it be? Is HD 80%, 90% as good as our vision? This is assuming you're starting with 20/20. I have 20/10 so how would that factor in, if at all?

Anyway, thanks for the replies. [​IMG]

12. Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc Stunt Coordinator

HDTV cannot compete with your eyeballs.

13. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Despite what Fry said on Futurama, HDTV doesn't have better resolution than the real world.