HDTV acting weird

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory R. B., Mar 10, 2002.

1. Cory R. B.

Cory R. B. Stunt Coordinator

I have a new 27" Samsung HDTV Monitor (HD Ready). When playing from my digital cable connection, it sometimes acts weird.

First, it seems to degauss like when you turn it on or off, but it also does it while the TV is on. Like right at the start of a commercial break when the show ends and the screen goes black before the start of the first commercial, the screen sometimes degausses.

Also, sometimes, at seemingly random times, a display pops up on the screen in front of the picture and says my sound source. It will say "Sound: Sterio", stay for a few seconds and leave, then another will pop up and say "Sound: Speakers + SAP". It always does these two in a row.

I don't know what either of these mean. I've never seen it doing this when I play games, it only seems to do it when playing from the coaxial input.

I've never had an HDTV before, so I really wouldn't know what is normal or not, I just know I never got anything like this on my old normal TV.

2. Cory R. B.

Anyone?

3. Cory R. B.

Hello?

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

FIRST off, dump that coaxial connection. That is the worst possbile connection you could have. MUCH better off with compisite for video and audio (or svideo if your digital cable box has it). 2nd, the problem you seem to be experiencing is within the signal itself. Somehow it is switching from Stereo to mono or something else.

Once again, I hate to be a bad guy, but you have several posts about problems with your TV. The problem is NOT with your TV, like 99.9% of all computer problems, your problems are user error. You REALLY need to start reading and searching more posts to learn about HDTV's and your TV in general. About 2 mos ago, I knew absolutely NOTHING about HDTV, component inputs, progressive scan etc, but I read as much as I could BEFORE getting my TV and have not had 1 single problem since I got it. I suggest you learn how to properly connect your TV, learn about signals etc before you start blaming the poor innocent TV. Don't mean to flame you, but you just invested a significant (to me anyway) amount of money on a TV and you are CLUELESS on it's capabilities or how to use it. Then, you start posting your problems and when someone doesnt answer it right away, you have 3 follow up posts like the ones in this thread. The worst part is, other's who are interested in buying this genuinly quality set see your ignorant posts and figure their must be an inherent problem with the TV and this is just not the case.

We are all here to help each other, but you also have to help yourself a little bit too.

Sorry for the rant moderators.

5. Cory R. B.

I'm not trying to be annoying and I'm not trying to say my TV is bad. Believe me, I know I made a big investment and I know it is a good quality TV. I just have no idea where to start looking. I know about different quality connections like composite, S-Video, and component, and I know how to hook stuff up, and I know about the different resolutions like 480i, 480p, etc., but that is really about it (I am going to change from coaxial to composite for my cable, but coaxial goes into the cable box, so the quality is already lost). I have no idea where to even go to learn about all the TV settings. I see this stereo thing popping up and have no idea what it means. I've looked through all the options, read the manual, but still don't know what is really going on. The last TV I had was an RCA that was about 15 years old, so it had nothing like the stuff this new one has.

I know you weren't trying to be rude, so I'm not lashing out at you either. I'm just trying to figure out how to set my set up right.

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

WHat do you have the sound setting on? Try setting it to stereo and see what happens.