HDTIVO. What connections will it use?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CRyan, Jul 31, 2003.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Just wondering what connections anyone here thinks are going to used. Component? DVI? Or a combination?

I am curious if all the copyright crap is going to prevent any anologue inputs and outputs. Any thoughts?

Also, are there any speculations as to when?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Supposedly the outputs will be:
    Component
    S-Video
    DIV

I’m not sure what you mean by analog inputs. I assume that the inputs will be RF, as they are today. AFAIK, there is no provision to use the Tivo for purposes other than recording programs from the satellite or OTA.

Who knows about the copyright issue. This won’t be so much a function of the Tivo (or any other HD PVR) as it is for what for the broadcasters, those receiving the broadcasts and how they use the received signal. That is to time-shift, archive or retransmit.

IIRC it is OK to time-shift, but not OK to archive (I think) and certainly against the law to retransmit the material—I assume that this would also mean via the Internet. I expect that it will also be against the law to copy the material (once you have got the program on the Tivo).

As for the time, indications early this year, pointed to just before Christmas for product availability. Given past history, you can expect early 2004.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Oops, sorry. :b

If I Recall Correctly

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Wait a minute. I assume that people are currently recording from cable boxes and/or dish network with TIVO. So this will not be possible with HD content over cable or Dish?

C. Ryan

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

It's more that Dish & the Motorola/Scientific Atlanta cable STB duopoly would rather roll their own, not that they are seeking to fill a gap Tivo is refusing to address. Tivo would love to produce equipment for those markets, but currently they need cooperation with those companies in order to do so. Since those companies want to make their own box, they aren't letting Tivo into the game.

After opencable standards are in place for standardized conditional access methods for digital cable later this year, Tivo probably will make a HD cable STB, my guess would be late 2004. This is all total speculation; Tivo has never said anything along these lines. It's just what makes sense logically to me.