1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HDR/Dolby Vision discussion for elevated black levels & calibration issues.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by ghostwind, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ghostwind

ghostwind Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Bogdan Urma
    If you can wait, I would wait for microLED displays, though it may be a bit of time. They will have all the advantages of OLED minus the disadvantages (risk of burn in, white sub-pixel, etc.)

PMF likes this.
  2. Message #42 of 47 Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    From Plasma to 4K to microLED;
    waiting has become my most affordable norm.:mellow:

3. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Both the 4K UHD 2001 and Superman discs have revealed the limitations in 4K projection for me. I have a cheap Optoma UHD60 projector displaying 4K discs from an Oppo 203 via a Denon AVR X7200W receiver. I've always switched the HDR off, as the projector has no chance of showing anything HDR-like. However, Superman looked even worse than the blu-ray in most scenes, with blown-out highlights and an even flatter look. Some 4K discs look fabulous projected on my system - Phantom Thread, for example. I'll keep purchasing 4K discs and wait a couple of years for projector technology - and my bank account - to catch up with the discs. I love the picture from standard blu rays and there's no question of my reducing the screen size to go for an OLED!

4. ghostwind

ghostwind Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Bogdan Urma
    With projectors HDR is pointless, yet people continue to do reviews on such gear...But turning it off may actually make things worse, as the HDR->SDR translation is usually very bad for colors, etc. But yeah, I have two Panasonic 820 4K Blu-ray players, and switch between them when comparing 4K to Blu-ray discs, like 2001 and Superman. Blu-ray, as I've always said, is always the one that looks best and correct. 4K Superman is bad, 2001 hit or miss.

5. Message #45 of 47 Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I am not disputing what you're seeing in your HT and experiences, but that's not entirely true for some of us in regard to watching Blu-rays versus 4K discs on our HT setups.

Tino likes this.
  6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Exactly.

Both the Superman and 2001 4K discs look (and sound) much better than their Blu Ray counterparts on my LG OLED.

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I think it's more of an issue with the limitations of consumer projectors when it comes to displaying HDR. Right now, it just isn't possible to get a really good HDR image from a home projector. Maybe one that is far above what the average person can afford, but certainly not on anything mid-range or below.

To be fair, as a fellow owner of an LG OLED, they are fantastic televisions. I'm so glad I ended up spending a little more than I should have in order to get one. It's a delight to watch movies on it.

John Dirk and Tino like this.