What's new

HDPVR + HDMI/DVI = worse image (1 Viewer)

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I'm kinda confused on how to proceed.

I have an Hitachi 51G500 with Shaw digital cable. Recently I bought the new HDPVR they had on sale. I believe it's the Pace 7700.

HD channels are pretty decent.

Normal digital channels are grainy.

When we PVR a program it is often dark/grainy/green.

WTH?

Today I ran the AVIA II DVD thru input '1', which is normally the TV input. I tweaked contrast and brightness, and then isolated the blue/red/green guns and tweaked them with the appropriate test pattern.

I plugged the HDMI-DVI cable into the TV input one from the PVR next, and was astounded to see it dark/grainy/green...

I'm not sure where to go from here.

I have now switched back to watching TV thru input '1' BUT back on component cables. This seems to have improved things a tad, but still the image appears grainy. There is also a waivering in some of the channels it seems. Diagonal waving lines from the upper right corner down. Not always evident, but there sometimes.

Q: Whats going on overall? Before the PVR things seems better.

I did switch TV from input '3' to input '1'. Perhaps I have major tweaking to do on that input beyond what I already did.

Which leads me to this question:

Q: Should I record the AVIA II test patterns to the PVR so I can actually remove the component cables and watch the patterns thru the HDMI cable on input '1'.

Q: WHY does TV look different completely on the HDMI cable? Where the component cables thru the same input seem much better?

TIA for any input on these issues.

Joe

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
On the hitachis....
DVI has a different calibration then the component, and both are based on input resolution.

Especially on a CRT based display, you may want to STRONGLY consider calibration.

Regards

Gregg

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Gregg,

I found the 'different' adjustment settings and began tweaking them but still lower channels look grainy.

The one thing that troubles me is this:

Don't I need to bring the AVIA patterns into the TV with HDMI/DVI cable? If so I may need to borrow a newer DVD player I guess. Otherwise I'm pissing in the wind tweaking away when it's inputing the patterns thru component.

On a side note, this perplexes me. Is there a reason beyond the obvious that input-1 on this TV has both component AND DVI? Is there ever a reason to have both of them connected simultaneously?

Thanks,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
filmfan101
Recent bookmarks