What's new

HDMI???? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Paul
Hi all, I've been away for awhile but im back, and real excited, I just pulled the trigger on a new Mitsubishi WD-73C9. The wife and I were at Costco buying dogfood, and when we entered the store all the TV's were there to greet us, but one in particular kept calling my name. When I looked at the big Mitsubishi it was LOVE at first sight, I was reserching the TV when I got home, and it's got all the bells and whistels including HDMI. Now I don't fully understand HDMI, but I know my Sunfire TGP-5 (processor) has it as well, now this is my question, the way I understand it all I have to do is go from the HDMI out on my TGP-5 to the HDMI in on the new TV? I also have a new Dish Network 5.1,HD satallight reciever coming, and if it has HDMI is the hook-up the same, HDMI out on the sat reciever to the HDMI in on the TGP-5, also the TV has three HDMI imputs. I also want to get a blue Ray DVD player, and again will it be HDMI out on the DVD to the HDMI in on the TGP-5 ? If Im right this is great really simple, or it there a catch somewhere in all this? Any info on this will be VERY GREATLY APPRICIATED.
Paul

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Darn displays at Costco. They get us every time

Your processor will pass the video, but it does not handle audio via HDMI. You will have to run a separate digital audio connection from each component to the TGP-5 in addition to the HDMI.

Also, you will have to connect your Blu-Ray via the 7.1 analog inputs to get the newer HD sound. Make sure your BD player decodes the formats since your reciever cannot. There are many of these on the market.

With newer recievers, you can use on HDMI cable per compenent to get everything.

Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the info, now am I better off to run everything through my TGP-5, and if thats the case then the only line going to my TV will be the HDMI from my TGP-5 is this right? What I have is my new Dish network HD reciever, a new Blue Ray DVD player, a laser disc player, I know, I know, but the laser disc still works great, my TGP-5, my Cinema Grand amp, and my Adcom GFA 555II amp (for the rear surounds).
Thanks Much,
Paul

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The HDMI on the TGP-5 is basically a bit useless if you have enough inputs on your TV, since no audio + no upconversion of other inputs to HDMI. I'd just run HDMI straight to the TV for the video, composite from your LD. Use optical/coax/multi-ch analog as appropriate for the audio to the processor.

If you didn't have LD, then running HDMI through the processor basically saves you one step on your remote control's activity switching macro, not a huge deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks