What's new

HDMI? (1 Viewer)

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
I am a newbie when it comes to home theater. I have a pretty silly question. What is HDMI 1.1? 1.2? 1.3?

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
Thanks for the link. I searched the whole site and even went through 'training" however im still unsure of the difference in HDMI 1.1 and 1.2. I see that 1.3 supports dolby true hd.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
If I remember correctly, Dolby TrueHD is only supported by HDMI 1.3. And as far as I know there is not hardware on the market currently supporting 1.3. Next month PS3 will probably be the first to add HDMI 1.3 to Sony's newest video game console.

BTW, this may explain better what HDMI is and the different versions:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...e_solution.php

I hope it will help.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
do you have a specific question you want to know? HDMI is basically a specification (just like standards made by ieee).

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
Yes i do have a question that didnt get answered in another forum.. I want to upgrade my receiver. I have a nice HDTV and a nice sorround sound system, I just want the best receiver in an $700 budget. Dont know if these different HDMI types will make a difference in my picture or sound.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Yes it will. An example is if you want to playback HD-DVD/BluRay, you will need a HDMI 1.3 (the latest version) AV Receiver to accept TrueHD+DTS-HD master. the problem is... HDMI 1.3 AVR aren't really out yet... especially at that price.

so, wait until next summer or fall and you'll begin to see HDMI 1.3 AVR's.

now, if that doesnt matter to you... then get AVR's that support 1080p (read the AVR spec, not HDMI). i think that's about it =).

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Oh, one more thing, prepare to pay over $1000+ for a new AVR suporting HDMI 1.3/1080p

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks