HDMI??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_Drake, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Steve_Drake

Steve_Drake Stunt Coordinator

What is the main difference between hdmi 1.1 and 1.3? If i buy a reciever with only hdmi 1.1 ... will it be totally outdated in 6 months? Also what do you all think about the Onkyo TX-SR803 for the 600-700 price point?

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This is one of the reasons why I am not jumping on a new reciever right now! I currently own a Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 DD/DTS reciever that has no assignable digital inputs, component video or HDMI inputs and outputs. Only my concern is even if the new models can pass an 1080p signal to a 1080p display. What about Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats via HDMI 1.2? Or does it actually require HDMI 1.3?

I can not afford to purchase a new reciever only to end up replacing it in less than two years just because of HDMI issues.

3. Steve_Drake

or what about the yamaha htr-5990 refurbished in the same price point.

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    What are your plans for your home theater Steve?

Are you planing on buying, using or planing on doing any of the following:
    • upscaling SD-DVD's
    • HD-DVD Player (currently a 1080i source)
    • Bluray Player (1080p source)
    • 720p, 1080i or 1080p HDTV
    • Standard Digital Cable or High Definition Cable (or Satalite version)
    • How many video inputs and how many digital inputs do you need?
    If you are planning on going with a high definition player I do not suggest going with anything that does not include HDMI 1.2. The Yamaha HTR-5990 does not have HDMI inputs. How badly do you need a reciever right now and are you willing to spend more money on a more up to date model in the near future if you need HD capatibility?

Low Dollar Recievers:
    Yamaha HTR-5990 6.1 Surround Sound Reciever - $449.95
    • 6.1-Channel, 660W Powerful Surround Sound (110W x 6)
    • 192kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels
    • HDTV Compatible 3 Component Video Inputs
    • Component Video Up-Conversion
    • No HDMI
    If you want to upconvert your current DVD's you will need HDMI on your reciever. This reciever has 5.1 analog input so if you want to use the analog for Dolby Digital or Dolby True HD. Then you will be stuck if you also use a DVD-A player. This reciever has some good performance but its a very basic model.

Yamaha RX-V557 7.1 Surround Sound Reciever - $549.95
    • 7.1-Channel, 665W Powerful Surround Sound (95W x 7)
    • Quad-Field CINEMA DSP and 14 Surround Programs
    • 192 kHz/24-Bit DAC for All Channels
    • Selectable 9-Band Subwoofer Crossover
    • 8-Channel External Decoder Input
    • Audio Delay for Lip Sync (0–160 ms)
    • HDTV Compatible Component Video Out
    • Component Video Up Conversion (Full)
    • No HDMI
    Yamaha RX-V1600 7.1 Surround Sound Reciever - $1099.95
    • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels
    • 7-Channel 840W Powerful Surround Sound (120W x 7)
    • Assignable Amplifiers for Bi-Amp Connection
    • Fully Analog Video Up Conversion to HDMI and Component Video Output with TBC
    • HDMI 1.1 Switching
    • Wide-Range Video Bandwidth (100MHz -3 dB)
    • 2 In/1 Out HDMI Interface for High Quality Digital Audio and Video Data Handling
    • Quad-Field/Tri-Field CINEMA DSP and 19 Surround Programs with 5 THX Select2 Programs
    • Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS 96/24 Compatibility
    • 3 Component Video Inputs
    • Audio Delay for Adjusting Lip-Sync (0–240ms)
    • Selectable 9-Band Subwoofer Crossover
    • Remote Terminal for Zone 2 and Zone 3
    Now I am not sure but I believe that HDMI can handle 1080i, HDMI 1.2 can handle 1080p but I think you have to have HDMI 1.3 for the new Dolby True HD and DTS-HD. This is where you really want to do your home work on HDMI. If you are just planing on watching DVD's and only want Dobly Digital and DTS then the basic Yamaha, Sony, Denon, Pioneer will work for you. But if you are going to do HD and you want more flexability and other features then the basic models will not cut it. I really do not recomend Sony recievers but if thats what you want and the price is good.

Sony STR-DA3200ES 7.1 Surround Reciever - $799.95
    • Channel Power Rating: 120 Watts X 7 Amplifier Power (8 ohms, 1Khz, 0.7% THD)
    • Sound Fields: Cinema - 4; Music - 8; Auto Format Decoding - 12; 2 Channel - 1
    • Composite Video Input(s): 5 (1 Front, 4 Rear)
    • Multi-Channel Input(s): 1 (Rear, 7.1 Channel)
    • Up Conversion: Yes (HDMI Up Conversion from Component, S-Video and Composite to 1080i)
    • HD Component Video Input(s): 2 (Rear)
    Pioneer VSX-1016TXV 7.1 Surround Reciever 1080p HDMI - $499
    • 7-Channel 770W Powerful Surround Sound (110W x 7)
    • HD Component Video Input(s): 2 (Rear)
    • 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs
    • 3 Component Video Inputs / 1 Component Out
    • 1080p HDMI video only passthrough
    • HD Component Video
    • Two 1080p HDMI Inputs
    Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV 7.1 Surround Reciever 1080p HDMI - $650
    • 7-Channel 770W Powerful Surround Sound (110W x 7)
    • Dual 48-Bit Freescale DSP Processor
    • Auto MCACC - Auto setup
    • 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs
    • 1080p HDMI video only passthrough
    • Two 1080p HDMI Inputs
    • 7.1 external decoder input
    • 5/6/7 Channel Stereo
    Denon AVR-2307CI: 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver $799
    • 7-Channel 700W Surround Sound (100W x 7)
    • All Channels Rated @ 0.05 THD
    • Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit – D.D.S.C
    • 32-bit Floating Point Surround Processor
    • 5/6/7 Channel Stereo
    • True 24-bit/96-kHz Digital Input Capability
    • DVI/HDMI Video Inputs – Compatible with 1.1 Spec. – Multi-Channel Audio *1080p HDMI
    • +12v Trigger Output - Assignable
    • Variable High/Low Pass Crossover Points (12/24dB) 40/60/80/100/120/150/200/250
    • 2 1080p HDMI Inputs
    • Auto Setup Calibration
    For the money the Denon IMHO is the best and most flexible reciever besides the Pioneer Elite models. But I feel that the Denon is the best bang for the buck!

Again if you are looking for a reciever that has Dolby True HD and DTS-HD decoding, HDMI 1.3 1080p inputs and all the newest toys you will want to wait for the new models to come out at the end of next year. It all depends on what you are looking to do. How flexible do you need your reciever to be and what you will be using it for.

My philosophy when selecting equipment is to get the best model I can possible afford and to get the model with the most flexibility. If you get something that offers more than you need then you will be less likely to outgrow it and need to replace it prematurely. For myself I am looking to end up with a 1080p home theater system that will include a 1080i HD-DVD player, 1080p Sony Bluray player, Sony 1080p video projector, DVD-A and SACD player, 3 channel power amp, updated reciever with (1080p HDMI 1.3 switching, Internal Dolby True HD and DTS-HD decoding, assignable digital inputs, assignable HDMI, assignable componenet video, assignable internal power amps, assignable remote triggers ect...). The goal is to not have to spend money upgrading something a second time that should have been upgraded once.

I hope this helps.

5. Steve_Drake

thanks for the reply. right now i have a 4 year old low end onkyo reciever (maybe the 501?) coupled with a paradigm performance package (their entry level stuff). I also have a 30 inch sony tube tv with hdmi. I use a high def cable box using component video, a xbox 360 using component video, and an oppo upconvert dvd player using hdmi.

I originally wanted to hold off buying a new reciever for a year or two until the new technologies came out, and eventually trickled down. But my reciever recently started acting up..the sub output is sketchy, it kicks in and out, and the reciever shuts off sometimes without warning.

Long story short, i think i need something right now. I am leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V1600 because those can be found for about 650 with shipping off ebay.

What is the general opinion about the new formats coming out, DTS-HD and the dolby companion. Is there a formal launch date? Will all companies be supporting them? What will the initial price be (ballpark figure) and how long will it take for the formats to trickle down to the 1k-1.5k price point?

thanks
    steve

6. Steve_Drake

Also, is there a general opinion about the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV? The website says 1080P through HDMI. Man! i used to understand all this crap before HDMI started becoming a pain.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The Pioneer Elite models are great, I would give Denon a slight edge. But Pioneer Elite is also one of the brands I am considering when I replace my 8+ year old Yamaha RX-V995. If you pick up a Pioneer Elite I do not think you will be very happy with that choice. I have had my Yamaha for over 8 years and while I am happy with it and its done a great job I would chose the Pioneer Elite over it.

Sony is using HDMI 1.2 and says there stuff is 1080p (new reciever, bluray and projector). So I do not believe that you will have any problems getting a 1080p signal to a HDTV.

As far as new surround formats go companies have now recieved the test chips for developing new reciever models. Denon says they have no plans right now, which is disapointing. Other companies like Adcom, Marantz and Yamaha are working on recievers that will use Dolby Digital Plus, Dobly True HD and DTS-HD Master Sound decoding. I am asuming that they will all be using HDMI 1.3 not 1.2 when those models come out. The 2nd generation HD-DVD player for $1,000 will be using HDMI 1.3 and output 1080p. By the end of 07 I would expect to start seeing new recievers and pre/pros out on the market that will use the new surround formats.

With all the upgrades I have planed I can not afford to go out and buy another reciever so that is why I am waiting to buy.

My Current System.............................Upgrade/Add On
    Yamaha RX-V995 Reciever...................Denon, Pioneer Elite Reciever
    Sony DVP-9000S ES DVD/SACD............Denon DVD-2200 DVD/DVD-A/SACD
    Denon DVD-2200 A/V Player
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD
    Denon DTR-2000 DAT
    JVC QL-50 Turntable..........................Considering upgrading to a Denon
    .................................................. ...Sony 1080p Video Projector
    .................................................. ...Monster HTPS 7000 MKII
    .................................................. ...Sony DBP-S1 Bluray Player
    .................................................. ...3 Channel Power Amp
    Polk CS100 Center Channel.................Klipsch RC-64 Center Channel
    Advent Marble Rear Channel...............Klipsch RB-61 Rear Channel
    .................................................. ..Klipsch,Velodyne or SVS Subwoofer
    Altec Lancing VOTT A-7 Main Channels: Will be refinished

There is alot of work to get this old system up to HD specs. Especially since I decided to add a 1080p projector with a Stewert Film Screen 120" screen. I would love to know what you decide on and how it works out for you.