What's new

hdmi with toslink (1 Viewer)

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
hello,

i was wondering if i can use a dvd player with hdmi only for video and use a toslink for the audio. will this screw up the dvd player since it might try to output audio from two places (hdmi and toslink)? also can toslink handle 6.1 sound?

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
hello,

i was wondering if i can use a dvd player with hdmi only for video and use a toslink for the audio. will this screw up the dvd player since it might try to output audio from two places (hdmi and toslink)? also can toslink handle 6.1 sound?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Yes you can use HDMI for video only and toslink for audio at the same time, no it won't screw anything up, and yes toslink can carry 6.1 sound :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The only caveat about Toslink and 6.1 sound is that this does not include the decoded lossless/uncompressed audio codecs on HD discs (both formats). HD players (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) can only pass the decoded HD audio via HDMI and, if present, analog audio outputs. SP/DIF (Toslink and coax) are not allowed to carry decoded HD audio at this time and this probably won't change soon if ever.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
It can be done but u have to tell the dvd player to output the sound via toslink and also the reciever to use the toslink instead of the HDMI. Toslink does handle 6.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks