HDMI v1.3 announced!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Danny Tse, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. dany

dany Supporting Actor

What a bunch of BS. This is why i can care less.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Yes I saw that a bit earlier. Good news and it was schedule for June a while back. Now they need to get prices down on HD DVD and Blu-Ray hardware, have software available at practical price points and have rec'rs with proper configurations. Good 1st step.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

So ... how long has HDMI 1.2 been officially released, and yet there are no products out there right now that are compliant? How long before we see 1.3 products? Another year?

This is a good thing, but man, the HDMI people are not so good at this as when DTS was added to DD over coax and toslink, the i.Link people, etc. I see *a lot* more confusion on the horizon. [​IMG]

6. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

O.K., can we still use the HDMI-DVI adapter and the toslink for audio?

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    On regular DVDs- yes. Toslink or coax digital connections will not handle the new higher resolution Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats on HD DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.

8. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

So if I understand this correctly, all current receivers that do not switch HDMI internally can not playback audio from the HD DVD's, Blu-Ray ETC. I cannot imagine D-Coax or Toslink not being capable (near future) of doing this. Should be mostly video that has higher bandwidth, I never liked HDMI to begin with..just meant you needed another cable for the audio or an adapter for DVI which should have stayed. Why have a HDMI from your DVD or Sat box to the receiver then another cable to your set, most sets have multiple inputs anyway.

9. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

You can play back audio from HD discs, just not the new HD formats DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. You can still get DTS core, DD+ and PCM without HDMI 1.3.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Anyone know why the players aren't including TrueHD and DTS-HD internal decoders? Why should the consumer have to buy another receiver for that purpose?

Or is this another example of Hollywood pirating paranoia i.e. "We can't let the consumer have direct access to the hi-res signals, even the analog ones, because they're all trying to rip us off!!"

11. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Your starting to get it now.

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Unfortunately. [​IMG]

Too many A/V "advancements" lately seem to be leading back to excessive greed on the part of the software providers (music & movies).

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The new players coming out now are *supposed* to have decoders for the new formats. Then, they send high res PCM down HDMI 1.1. That way, there *is* backwards compatibility built in. You don't need 1.3 for the new formats. But HDMI 1.1 is only compatible with 5.1 channels. If the new formats support it, and if studios ever put 7.1 on a disc, *then* you'd *need* 1.3.

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Thanks Kevin. Despite my rather numerous cranky sounding posts, I would really much rather say cool things about an A/V company or organization. This is an important hobby for me & hobbies are supposed to be about having fun, not something that's suppsoed to cause stress.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. The real stress is caused by trying to decide between multiple components that do meet your needs. [​IMG]