What's new

HDMI Upconversion (1 Viewer)

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to upgrade my 4+ yr old Pioneer vsx-d509 receiver at some point. I could upgrade now, possibly to Pio 101X, or wait for a year or so if there are any must-have features about to be included to the ~$500 category receivers. One that I can think of is HDMI upconversion. Does anyone know if this is significantly better from component upconversion? Any other cool features in the pipeline that are worth waiting for? Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
On a $500 reciever in the next year or two you might have HDMI conversion, but not HDMI upconversion. The HDMI conversion would just allow you to have one HDMI cable going to your display. VHS will still look like VHS, DVD will still look like DVD, and HD would look like HD. I think it will be at least 2 or 3 years before you see HDMI upconversion at that pricepoint. Having said that I don't think you would see much of a difference between component or HDMI.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Just noticed that Yamaha's 5990 is going to have HDMI upconversion incl. Might be couple hundred more exp than $500 from auth dealers though.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
According to J&R, the JVC D402 ships in 1-2 buz days, at less than $500

bonus: it's using the well regarded JVC digital amplifiers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks