HDMI to DVI conversion

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jean-Luc, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Auditioning

I am currently in the market for a flat-panel LCD HDTV and companion up-converting (to near-HD) DVD player. I noticed that, while the HDTV sets are offered with either DVI or HDMI inputs with DVI inputs generally featured on the less expensive sets, the up-converting DVD players currently offered on the market seem to exclusively feature HDMI outputs.

I also noticed that HDMI-to-DVI cables are available with which you could connect the HDMI output of an up-converting DVD player to the DVI input of an LCD HDTV.

My question is: if you use such an HDMI-to-DVI cable, do you still get near-HD up-conversion from the DVD player, or does this only happen with an HDMI-to-HDMI connection?

If the later is true, this means that the choice of HDTV is limited to the more expensive sets that feature an HDMI input.

I would appreciate if anybody could let me know.

JeanL

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Think of DVI as HDMI without the sound. Any picture quality (including HD) that can be transmitted by HDMI can be transmitted by DVI. The difference is you need an analog or digital audio connection with DVI, whereas HDMI carries audio and video.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Current DVDs are made at 480i and nothing the DVD player can do will truly match a real HD (720P or 1080) signal. An upconverting player will convert the 480i to something "better" and it will look good, how good is dependent on the upconversion on the DVD and the quality of the TV. An HD TV will also convert incoming signals and only experimentation will tell you if its better to do the upconvert at the player or the TV.

Also HDMI is implemented with HDCP -- a copy protection protocol. Devices on ends of the cable must properly implement it and agree that it's okay for the digital signal to pass. Shouldn't be an issue for you but it's just another thing to file away for reference.