What's new

HDMI to DVI conversion ... (1 Viewer)

James_SCEA

Agent
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you are aware of any limitations on converting HDMI to DVI or visa versa. I have read in a couple of forums and on Audioholics.Com that you may not necessarily get the same performance as you would if you would run the straight connection without using a converter/adaptor or conversion cable.

Thanks in advance,
JC

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.. Digital signal? If you get picture and the colors are correct, I can't see how it would be degraded.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I had last years Sony 42in LCD with DVI. Due to a defect, I swapped it with this years Sony 42in LCD with HDMI. Being that I had a $100 cable that I didn't want to throw away, I bought a DVI/HDMI adapter from Crutchfield (although now Best Buy and Sears have them too) and haven't noticed any difference. Granted, I don't have the TVs next to each other, but I will say that my HD signal is spectacular and I have noticed no problems with the connector, other than that HDMI's connection is lame and that I wish it had screw downs like DVI. (The HDMI cable has a tendancy to lean because of the cable weight, so I have it anchored with a half inch piece of duct tape to keep the connection from accidently disengaging.)

Doug

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There is no signal conversion occurring, it is only a physical plug change.

DVI supports 8-bit RGB, and HDMI supports the same. If you are using DVI as one of the input/outputs, this is what you will be getting straight through.

If you were using HDMI all the way, you would have the added option of higher bit transfer, as well as using native YCbCr data instead of RGB. You can think of DVI as something like a limited(but totally adequate) subset of HDMI. Using HDMI-DVI should be no different than using DVI-DVI, except for a physical plug difference.

James_SCEA

Agent
Cool, thanks for the valuable info. My panasonic tv has a DVI input but my player is HDMI - I am now somewhat confident that I can use an HDMI to DVI cable.

Thanks again,
JC

Thomas*F

Auditioning
Chris is absolutely correct - no signal conversion - digital end to end only the physical conncetion has changed.

I have had good luck with HDMI/DVI cables from a company named Lindy - you can get a 100' cable for less than $100 - I have bought several.

lindy.com/us or
audiovideo.lindy.com

Good Luck,
Gene

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
James:

I am using DVI to HDMI from my HTPC to my RPTV. At first I went to Best Buy to look at the prices on their cables and was floored at how much they wanted for a Monster cable. I called Kurt at Blue Jeans Cable and got a 6 foot cable for under $40.
The construction on the cable is first rate and works without a hitch.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks