HDMI to DVI conversion -- Worth it?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrettGfield, Jan 31, 2005.

1. BrettGfield

BrettGfield Auditioning

Hey all,

I guess this is my newb post, and hopefully it's not too dumb a question. Anyhow, my question is this:

My new progressive scan DVD player has an HDMI output (but no DVI)... My new DLP TV has a DVI input (but no HDMI)... Would there be any gain in PQ by me purchasing an HDMI to DVI adapter and connecting across those ports?

Right now I am using composite, which will run in progressive scan mode, but the manual says something about 525p on composite, and that the 720p can only be achieved via the HDMI connection...

Any thoughts?

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm Composite is a single RCA type video connection.

Component is 3 RCA type connection bundled into one cable.

A DLP is a digital display, I would assume it would be way worth it, to have a DVD player that can scale to 720p hooked up via the HDMI/DVI. Probably not really worth it, if the DVD player can only do 480p, may as well use the analog component connection in my opinion anyways.

3. BrettGfield

BrettGfield Auditioning

RE: Composite/Component... Yes, sorry about that. It is connected using a Monster THX Component set of cables (the three RGB plugs for whatever it is they control).

I guess my main question was this: If the DVD player is outputting from HDMI, and the TV is receiving that signal crossed over onto the DVI port, are there any foreseeable problems? Should the TV understand the converted HDMI signal?

Thanks again!

4. John S

John S Producer

No problemo.. The signal is the same, if the adapter gives picture, you should be good to go with it.

The signal stays the same, just gets converted to a diffeent cable / connection type.

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

John has it right. In very simple terms, HDMI carries both audio and video, while DVI carries only video. The video part of HDMI is the same as DVI, except for the connection. It makes no difference to your tv picture whether the DVD is outputting the digital video over DVI or HDMI, except that you have to buy a conversion cable of course. I'd give it a shot to see if you like it better. Hopefully you can find another use for the $100 monster cable you have. Try one of the online suppliers like Blue Jeans to save some cash on your DVI/HDMI cable.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you use an HDMI->DVI connection, it's just like as if you used DVI-DVI. The transmission format is digital RGB. With HDMI-HDMI, you have the option of the same, but you also have the option to send YCbCr (digital component video).