What's new

HDMI-to-DVI Adapter Problem (1 Viewer)

Herbie_Wilson

Auditioning
Hi HT experts. This is my very first post, so greetings to you all.

I'm experiencing something unexpected with my new home theater. It's frustrating the heck out of me. Here is a list of the equipment in question:

* Hitachi 42" plasma (42HDF52)
* Samsung HD-upscaling DVD-HD755
* HDMI-to-DVI adapter

First off, I think it's ridiculous that, to achieve 720p/1080i resolution from the DVD player, you MUST use the HDMI cable...when component is fully capable of 1080i. I'm sure there's many posts and gripes to go along with mine.

Unfortunately, this TV does not have an native HDMI input, so I'm forced to use DVI to achieve the upscaling.

On to the problem...when I connect the supplied HDMI cable (came with the DVD player) with the HDMI-to-DVI adapter to the TV, it works fine for a bit (+/- 5 minutes). The resolution looks great, but then sure enough, the TV loses signal. The green LED on the front turns to yellow. I also noticed when using the DVI input on the TV, that p.mode (cinema, dynamic, etc) does not work (is this normal?)

Has anyone else ever seen this, and is there a resolution, besides having to upgrade the plasma to one with native HDMI input(s)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Herbie

Herbie_Wilson

Auditioning
I found out from Hitachi that when using the DVI input, p.mode is in fact disabled, leaving it up to the output device (DVD player, PC, etc) to render however it chooses.

Also, Samsung had never heard of this issue (Tier II support), but recommended I try a good quality HDMI DVI cable (no adapter).

Anyway, I'm saying screw it, and I'm going to upgrade the TV to the 42HDT52 plasma.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Herbie. Welcome to HTF!

You do know that the up-conversion issue is about copy-protection, not technology? Hollywood is afraid to let people up-convert to something that might be used to make thousands of tape or video-cd's that will flood Asia and Europe with pirated-but-good-looking copies.

It Does sound like the TV is having issues maintaining a signal. Switching is likley a good thing to do.

Herbie_Wilson

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply Bob.

Yes, I'm learning all of these nuances of the new advances (restrictions).

Fortunately, the new TV (Hitachi 42HDT52) has two HDMI inputs, as well as component, so that will cover my needs for the digital cable (DVR) and upscaling DVD player. I'm curious as to what other impositions Hollywood or whoever will impose next...

- Herbie

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well... as annoying as Hollywood is - I have had friends go to Hong Kong and find many movies available on the street that are still playing in theaters here. You can also find 'screeners' on eBay.

Pirated copies of things DO have an impact on the real sales of movies and tapes.

Herbie_Wilson

Auditioning
Hi Bob,

I fully agree, and can understand from their perspective, why they've (Hollywood) taken the initiatives they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks