What's new

hdmi to component tv? (1 Viewer)

ronKi

Agent
I have 3 dvd,hd & blue ray players all capable of hdmi output.
the problem is my panasonic hd tv came out before hdmi and only has component inputs. Are there any options beside purchasing a new tv?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
As far as physical connectivity you could get an HDMI conversion box or a receiver that will accept 3 HDMI inputs and output component, but any way you slice it you're going to be splitting the digital audio out of that HDMI signal, converting the video to analog and sending the analog video to your TV via the component cables.

Assuming all your devices also have component outputs, and your TV has at least three component inputs, neither of these solutions offers any improvement over just using the component connections. (Unless the external device just happens to do a much better job on the digital-to-analog conversion than your three source devices do.)

But there is no way to "get" the digital HDMI signal to your TV if it lacks an HDMI (or at least DVI) digital video input.

Sorry,

Joe

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi
As Joseph stated...just use the component outputs. You will also have to use the separate digital audio outputs from the sources.

pat00139

Agent
Real Name
Pat Pilon
I'm not sure if there are any receivers capable of going from HDMI to component, or any converter boxes. The problem comes with the HDCP thing. HDMI has it, while component doesn't, so, like the others said, go component for all three players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks