HDMI Switching Issue and Denon AVR-987

cjut01

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Jutkiewicz
Hi folks, new member here.

I just purchased a Denon AVR-987. It has 2 HDMI inputs, and 1 output. I have my Denon 3910 DVD and my Tivo HD as HDMI inputs, and the HDMI output goes to my Mits. WD-62525 DLP set. When I switch sources via the AVR, especially from the DVD to the Tivo, the Mits. gets confused and displays something like an unsync-ed picture, with the video noise and a small version of the picture displayed in the upper left hand corner of the screen. This does not happen 100% of the time, but maybe a good 60-70% at least.

Re-switching the AVR does not help, but power-cycling the TV puts things right again.

Has anyone out there experienced similar issues with HDMI switching? Hard to believe it might be a cable problem or something simple like that. I will be calling Denon today, and then maybe Mits.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

No, it's not a cable problem. Rather, it's a problem with HDCP repeating, and the receiver is normally the culprit. When before two HDMI devices (let's say a DVD player and a TV) connect, they must perform a digital "handshake" using HDCP for data encryption (this is how material is copy protected with HDMI). So when you take it a step further by running devices through a switch (like on your receiver), that device must first make an HDCP handshake with the switching device (the repeater) and then a second one with the TV. This is where most of the problem arises.

Sadly, there are very few receivers that actually handle HDCP repeating properly because the repeaters were not engineered very well. This is why I normally recommend to my customers to run HDMI sources straight to the monitor, provided there are enough inputs. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to run your TiVO HD with component video and still be able to run HDMI straight to the TV from the DVD player.

A lot of us are hoping that these problems will be gone with the new HDMI 1.3 receivers.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerani53