What's new

HDMI switcher? (1 Viewer)

hockeymask

Auditioning
Real Name
David Rojas
I'm not very kowlegable on electronics so excuse my simple question.
I'm looking to get a 3x1 HDMI swithcer but I'm not sure which one to get. The price range is from $20 to $150 and some say they are "pass through", whatever that means.

Your suggestions and help is greatly appreciated!

dave

Brent_S

Second Unit
What are you trying to do? What gear? HDMI implementation seems to be a bit finicky and some switches that work with one combination of gear don't play nice with another.

I'm using the Monoprice 4x1 to switch an HD-A2 and Panasonic BD35 into an Onkyo 805 feeding a Planar front projector via HDMI. No problems for me, but some in the BD35/55 owner's thread have had trouble with the same switch. Price seems to have dropped since I bought my last month...

-Brent

hockeymask

Auditioning
Real Name
David Rojas
I would like to connect my Panasonic 42" Plasma, Panasonic BD35, Denon 1909 receiver(coming) and a future PS3 with HDMI.

Thanks for the help.

dave

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Since your Denon 1909 has three HDMI inputs and you will only have two HDMI source components (BD player and PS3), why do you need an external HDMI switcher? You should be able to use your Denon for this. Simply connect the Panny BD player and PS3 to two of the HDMI inputs, and connect the HDMI monitor output of the Denon to your plasma display.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

LionAV will be selling the DVDO Edge video processor starting this evening / tomorrow as a HTF Power Buy thing.

this is a very unique piece. It will not only accept up to 6 HDMI inputs but also process it up to 1080p resolution. It also has 2 outputs on it...one to go to your display and the other to go to your audio receiver.

the price on this will be killer. The retail is 799 and we will be selling it for $595 delivered!!!

email [email protected] if interested.

Real Name
kevin
Dont mean to hijack this thread but my question is similar to the original post . Looking to make the best purchase of a switcher . Ebay lists all kinds of different switchers with a wide price range . Some of the switchers indicate they can play 3D but are only hdmi 1.3 compatible ? This has me puzzled because as far as I have read in order to play 3d video you need 1.4 cables ? Some switchers have built in amplifiers and others simply split the audio and video feed . Does this forum have a sticky for switcher recomendations ? Does it not make sense to purchase hdmi 1.4 cables rather than 1.3 as 1.4 cables can support everything and 1.3 will soon be history ? All my components are HDMI 1.4 compatible and all my Hdmi cables are 1.4 certified , not 1.3 I am trying to output video to an Optoma HDMI 3D projector and a Samsung Hdmi television using HDMI 1.4 cables . I am not watching the projector and the televison at the same time . Problem is I only have one hdmi 1.4 output on the Yammy stereo 5.1 receiver . Can I purchase an hdmi 1.4 compatible switcher and safely switch video sources after the hdmi 1.4 video output on the Yamaha receiver ? The Yamaha receiver has 5 inputs for Hdmi 1.4 but only 1 output hdmi 1.4 Would be easier to just draw a diagram of what I am trying to do wouldnt it ?

jimzcatz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Scarpine
Brent_S said:
What are you trying to do? What gear? HDMI implementation seems to be a bit finicky and some switches that work with one combination of gear don't play nice with another. I'm using the Monoprice 4x1 to switch an HD-A2 and Panasonic BD35 into an Onkyo 805 feeding a Planar front projector via HDMI. No problems for me, but some in the BD35/55 owner's thread have had trouble with the same switch. Price seems to have dropped since I bought my last month... -Brent
I looked at Monoprice, this is a 1.3b switcher and not 1.4. Does that matter if you are not going 3D?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
jimzcatz said:
I looked at Monoprice, this is a 1.3b switcher and not 1.4. Does that matter if you are not going 3D?
And 1.3b was cutting edge 4 years ago when this thread was started. :) I would suggest getting the latest and greatest today if you are getting it new. There are other features of 1.4 that you may use in the future (like return sound and networking).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks