What's new

HDMI Switch for $50! Cheap alternative to HDMI switching receiver... (1 Viewer)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have the Dish 811 and just purchased a Samsung upconverting DVD player. I ended up ordering a Panny XR55 as it now has what I sold my XR50 for-7.1, 80hz crossover, and DPL IIX.

Anyway, I wanted a way to utilize the 811 and DVD player with the one HDMI input on my sony widescreen. I considered the JVC 402 digi amped receiver but it is sketchy if it performs as well as the XR50 and it is $400. Well many may know this already, but Amazon has a DVI/HDMI 2-1 mechanical switch for $55 shipped.

The HDMI switching receivers are pricey, this may prove to be a cheap alternative.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
because is HDMI is a 2 way communication interface which allow for encryption for copywrite protection purposes. Y connectors will not work, nor will some basic switches. If this switcher works that would be awesome. I'd like to see see some reviews!!

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I just got it today. I am still waiting for another DVI cable to come. There is a thread over on AVS where people are using these without problems. Only real drawback is it is a mechanical switch and subject to possible corrosion of the contacts and of course no remote.

Better alternative (unless you are in themarket for one)than spending a fortune on a HDMI/DVI switching receiver...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks