What's new

HDMI settings for cable box output to plasma? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 37" Panasonic plasma with a resoltuion of 720p. The HDMI output on my Comcast HD/PVR box gives me HDMI output options of 720p or 1080i. Should I choose 720p because that's the resolution of the TV? When I asked Comcast, they told me to set it at 1080i, although it wasn't "officially supported", but didn't tell me why.

I tried both and I'm not sure I see a difference. What should I be looking for?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

What is the panel pixel array? If HD ... then likely 1024x768 ... or less than 800,000 pixels ...

It is neither a 720p or 1080i native display. It will scale both to fit its panel. Try both settings to see which works best for you.

Regards

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
In 99% of these types of cases it won't matter a lick. There is scaling going on on both sides, the box and the display.

And as for should you send it analog (component) or digital (HDMI) it seems to make sense to reduce the number of A/D-D/A conversions and do it digitally, but I think you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference. In fact, I see more issues with HDMI passing bad colors than anything.

AmigaDude

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Don't the broadcasters send there output at 1080i, in which case the STB would either convert to 720p or pass unchanged at 1080i? If so, they rightfully suggest that you pass it unchanged at 1080i, and let the Plasma do any converting.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
The broadcasters are about half and half on 720p and 1080i.

If your box allows for pass through of HD signals, that's usually the best route if your display takes both inputs.

For SD it depends on the scaling cabability of the box and the set, so just play around and see if one looks better. Probably a push, but come cable boxes are garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks