What's new

HDMI/ SA 8300 HDDVR (1 Viewer)

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
will the SA8300 HD DVR record with a component connection?

Just got my first expereince with HDMI and it is not a good one.

cannot get audio properly sent to my receiver.

maybe there is a setup issue with my TV/cable box and DVD, but when I use component cables, everything works great. as soon as I use HDMI, audio is not working properly....

whoever implemented this HDMI BS had everyone but the end consumer in mind.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your DVR will record with no TV connected to it. Recording is not dependent on what output connections are used. As long as the incoming cable is working, it will record.

How do you have your HDMI connected? How is the audio connected at the same time? What audio connections are you using when you switch to component cables?

-Robert

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
thank you. TW told me I need HDMI with a DVR...maybe for another reason.

anyway...

The HDMI is going from the cable box into the TV, HDMI input one. I have no cable co-ax going to the TV at all. I have an optical audtio cable going to the cable box into my receiver. When I switch to component cables, I have the same exact optical cable going from the cable box into my receiver. sound works fine.

also, something weird. I had my DVD playinig a disc and tried to change around the receivers digital input settings to see if that was the problem. So, I had to switch to Video 3 on my TV, which is nothing more than a composite cable, so I could view my receivers setup menu on the TV. When I did this, the aduio coming from the DVD player worked perfect. So, I toggled through all the digital inputs, everything worked fine while the TVs video was on Video 3, which was just for my receivers setup menu. As soon as I switched the Video to HDMI 1 (TV) or HDMI (2), the audio stoped coming through as dolby digital. Thought is was coincidence, so I switched back to Video 3, and both the digital audio inputs worked perfect (TV and DVD). Switched back to the HDMI 1 and/or 2, stopped working. did this 3-4 times, same result.

The next logical step was to use the optical audio out on my TV, and try to send the signal to the receiver that way. Same exact result. Worked fine, until I send a video signal via HDMI.

Rick89114

Grip
Real Name
Richard
I also have the SA8300 HD DVR. I currently have HDMI straight to the TV and optical to reciever, works great. If you want sound over the HDMI the setup menu on the SA8300 box has a setting for digital audio set it to optical or HDMI and you should be set. At least that how its working here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks