HDMI ->receiver->COMPONENT->HDTV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by orestes, Mar 9, 2006.

1. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Is it possible to have this connection?

HD-DVD player [HDMI output] -> [HDMI input] Receiver [COMPONENT output] -> [COMPONENT input] HDTV unit.

My HDTV Toshiba unit only has 2 COMPONENT inputs; thus, if I buy a HD-DVD player, I will not be able to see all the feature of the HD media played unless the above connection works. Right?

Any commments and suggestion and explainations on how this works will be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
    orestes

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think you'll have to look very hard for that, but AFAIK, there are no receivers that will transcode down from HDMI to component.

3. orestes

orestes Second Unit

John

Thanks, and that was what I was afraid of. The bottom line is not only I have to buy a new receiver, but an HDTV unit with HDMI. This sucks!

Regards,
    orestes

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The issue is more than just the transcoding, which can be done, but rather the HDCP content protection. This, if ICT flag is enabled, you won't be able to get around.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I can't wait until the news gets around to the public - specifically the ones with HDTVs without HDMI - when they find out their expensive sets won't work with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Talk about the poo hitting the fan!

6. John Garcia

John
    Yep - HDMI is going to be another big hurdle that will stall sales on the new players out of the gate. Not only TVs without HDMI, but also those that are not compliant with the latest version that will be on the players... Not to meniton most are going to need upgrades anyway to get DD+ and DTS-HD too.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

The latest version? What do you mean? Does it have something to do with audio, because recently at a Circuit City I was playing with a Samsung player/Hitachi HDTV combination and when I hit "play", a message popped up on the TV that said "HDMI audio not supported" (I was actually trying to hear a certain center channel connencted to one of the demo systems nearby).

8. John Garcia

John
    From what I understand, and I am not an expert, the HD-DVD and Blu Ray players will have a new version of HDMI that is not backwards compatible due to the copy protection stuff.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's not a new version, but for HD output you will need an HDCP compliant DVI or HDMI device. Not all DVI devices are HDCP compliant, but all HDMI devices should be.

Depending on the title and studio decisions, output may be restricted to only HDCP compliant devices, and analog output will be down-res'd.

10. brac

brac Agent

Back to the original question wouldnt an upconverting dvd player with hd component out solve your problem???
    There are a few
    Brac

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Upconversion of a 480i native source like current dvd is not going to come close to true HD from the new HD formats.

You bring up the fact that there are a number of upconverting players that will output HD scanrates over component. This was supposed to be forbidden just like the new formats. I also have a component-only set and plan to wait a year or so until I'm sure some enterprising soul doesn't figure out a way to hack one of the new players to defeat the HDCP and thus enable the output of HD scanrates over component, just as has occurred with the current upconverting players.